Peaceful, semi, and aggressive tanks

Jul 12, 2005
Was wondering how peaceful, semi-aggressive, and aggressive tanks work. In peaceful tanks, obviously everyone gets along, but how does it work in semi-aggressive? Do all the fish stand up for themselve and therefor noone gets picked on...therefor they get along?...or is it constant combat? Is it a case of matching fish strength for size and strength?

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
i've never heard of a semi-aggressive fish tank. i'm guessing it would work the same way as an aggressive fish tank. it would have to be very large with a lot of hiding spaces and not very crowded.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
There is an entire forum on ReefCentral.com about fish only and aggressive tanks that you might want to check out. I dont think anyone here is particularly versed in keeping aggressive or semi-aggressive tanks, might explain the lack of replies. I would assume that common sense and research is a big part of it...if I read that this fish will eat anything it can fit in its mouth (like a lionfish), then I'm not going to put it in a tank with anything smaller than what it can fit in its mouth...unless I want to be spending oodles of money replacing the Lionfish's dinner choice. I know I want little critters in my tanks and dont want to get anything that will munch on my $20 shrimp :)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can assure you I am well versed with semi aggressive tanks as I have a tang, 6 line wrasse and some big clowns, and compared to freshwater all of those are pretty choppy.
your basic explanation is pretty good, except to beari n mind everything is far more aggressive to conspecifics i.e. tangs generally don't kill gobies (though they will if kept in small tanks) , but putting another tang is asking for trouble.