peacock eel?

Aug 10, 2006
My mom got me a 4" peacock eel for my 10 gallon aquarium (which does have a filter and plants and hiding places.) Contrary to the assurances of the Walmart employee, a bunch of websites say that peacock eels should be in 20-30 gallon tanks. Should I find the peacock eel a new home or will the eel not outgrow the tank as it gets older? Also, what do you think is best to feed the peacock eel? About how long does it take for it to acclimate to the tank? Thanks for any help.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Peacock eels can get around 8-10 inches, so yes it will need a bigger tank. A tank around 40g would be best as a long term home. It may be ok for a little while, but eventually will need a bigger tank.

Wild Peacock eel will eat worms, crustaceans and larvae and keeping them on a similar diet of live food in the aquarium is recommended. Live brine shrimp, blood worms, mosquito larvae and cyclops are all good suggestions.
From this website.

They do like to bury in the substrate, so if you have rough or sharp gravel and you plan on keeping this guy, you should think about changing over to fine gravel or sand.

They stay hid alot, either behind decor or buried in the substrate. I'd start out feeding it some frozen blood worms. Then get some live food if you can.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
If you keep the eel in the curent tank its growth will be stunted,thus shorting its (pretty miserabl) life. For the best needs of the fish it needs to be kept in a bigger tank.

Feeding: I would say it will take flake and I'm sure it will eat bloodworm and brine shrimp. That said you should google it just to be sure.

I guess it depends on the fish on how long it takes to settle into a tank. There are some things you can do to speed up this prosses. I'm sure you know about floating the bad and adding a small amount of water to the bag to help the fish get to grips with the ph of you tank,ect so I wont go into it. However I would also make sure the tank light and the light in the room is off,open the drapes a little for light. secondly I would turn off the airstone,if you have one,imo this also settels the tank alittle more.

Best of luck with the eel!

*twirlysmi

Aug 10, 2006
Thanks for the advice. I intended to sell or give the peacock eel away as soon as possible since y'all also agreed that the eel should have a bigger tank. Unfortunately, when I got home today, I found him dead in the tank, although it's only been 24 hours since I got him. :( I suspect that perhaps the pH was too high for him or something. I'm not sure, but I won't be getting another one. =(