peacock gudgeon breeder tank

Jan 6, 2006
i'm wanting to set up a planted breeding tank for peacock gudgeons, and i'd like any suggestions about what i've got so far or what else i might consider.

basically i wonder what temperature and filtration/water agitation is good for both java fern and breeding peacock gudgeons.

here's what i've got going on.

i bought a 20 gallon long and a tank divider (one side mamas & papas, one side fry). i'm thinking of java fern for the plants on the mama & papa side. nothing but substrate on the fry side.

i have an old penguin bio wheel 125.

i bought a round air bubbler thing just because it looked cool, but then read that they deplete co2 for the plants (true/false?)
and they create surface agitation which isn't great for plants (true/false?).

i also read to keep temperature in the low to mid seventies for the plants, but i wonder if this is a good temperature to promote breeding?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I dont know much about peacock gudgeons, but I think your setup sounds fine. Although why would you only want plants on one side? And if you were going for the bare bottom effect you dont need substrate on the fry side of the tank either if you dont want.

If you're injecting c02 into the tank to make java fern grown then yes a bubbler will defeat the purpose of injecting...but if you aren't injecting c02 and just want to put it in for some extra surface agitation then it isn't going to hurt anything. Java fern is very easy to grow...I dont think I'd worry about the temperature a whole lot. Do some research on google and find some suggestions about that fish. Assuming its tropical most of them like it in the 75-80 range.

Not sure what size a penguin 125 is...maybe someone can help with whether thats good enough for a 20g or not? Also, hopefully you're planning on cycling the tank before attempting to breed :)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
By cramping them in one side of the tank like that you will be lucky if you can keep 2 males alive. Without enough room for territories the males will kill one another. I would recommend setting up a cheap 10 gal for the fry, and remove the divider so you can safely keep more than one male.

They like to spawn in water a little warmer than that IME 78 is a good temp. PH doesn't seem to be an important factor. Conditioning with live or frozen foods is. We feed frozen brine as a staple, then when we want to induce a spawn we change to frozen blood worms 2 times a day. You will also need some small tube type caves for spawning, 1 inch PVC with a cap on the end works great for this. You can cover it with java moss to hide the ugliness of the pipe.

This is one of the fish we are currently working with breeding. Feel free to PM me with question.