peculiar betta behavior

torti

New Fish
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Long story...
I went on vacation to florida for a week. My mom was to feed my betta for me. I usually feed him twice a day but she fed him once a day.. and then she didnt feed him for two days. When I get back he is acting differently.
The first day back, He kept laying at the bottom on the marbles or just sitting at the top unmoving.. I thought he was dead and would tap the glass and then he would spurt into motion.. but then stop and stay unmoving again. I have been back for 3 days.. now he is swimming around as before.. but through all this has not eaten. If he has eaten.. I haven't seen him. When he sees me come he swims around frantically like he usually does around feeding time.. but when I put the food in.. he ignores it and swims away, or stares at it.. but has no desire to eat it.. he has taken in a few.. but spit them out.
Also.. he has not made his bubble nest(I'm sure thats not the right word for it) but this he usually does daily.. and does not anymore.. there is no more bubbles at the top.
Is this behavior peculiar? Or am I overacting?
His food is new food.. if this makes a difference. My dog got ahold of his other food.. and I had to buy him new food. But it is still the same brand that he always eats. But the bites do seem larger then before. Maybe too large to eat?
I am just a bit worried... any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
have you tried doing a water change cause that may perk him up and the food being larger may be it too...Try changing his water and add a bit of aquarium salt to it.and for food you could try bloodworms (grubs) my bettas love it...I find the pellets I buy are small but I have to go out of town to get them but when I have a picky betta I give them the bloodworms and have no trouble at all....he should be fine could just be pissed at you for leaving and be giving you the silent treatment...lol

torti

New Fish
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
I have tried changing the water.. that does seem to perk him up usually.. but not this time
I changed half of the water last night and I have put in the uniodized salt. But there doesn't seem to be a difference. Right now he is laying at the bottom next to his mug.
Btw his bowl is 3 Gallons so I know he isn't stressed from small space.

Thanks for the imput :)

Rokl33t

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
you no i had my first betta it did the same as soon as i put the gold fish in it (ya i no bad combo, this was my first and id din't no wat to do). Well anyways sadly it died a couple days later. So if u love this betta do water to fix it, try feeding him live food, i heard it's their favorite, and that perks my lil betta.

torti

New Fish
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
well today he does seem better.
I thought maybe his water was too cold because I dont have it heated. So last night I took him away from my window and put him on my dresser and this morning he did eat when I put in the food.

Btw he has no other mates in the bowl with him :)