Pepper & Fish

Oct 14, 2005
Illinois
Early Thursday morning, my 3 year old sister got up and dumped A LOT of pepper into the fishtank. The fish were swimming on there sides when I got up. I made my mom get up and put them into this little fish bowl we have, to prevent further damage to the fish. The fish were up and swimming when i got home from school and we figure they will be okay. (They are 3 goldfish) My mom cleaned the fish tank today and we put them back into it. We gave them some food and they acted like they were trying to eat it but weren't going after the food. Is it possible that they could be blind? and is it possible they could still die although they stopped floating around like they were?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's possible the pepper blinded them, or confused their sense of smell enough that they're having trouble tasting/smelling the food. I guess it's possible they could still die.

About the best you can do is to perhaps do another water change in the next few days, add some fresh carbon to the filter or add some Melafix to help healing.

Oct 14, 2005
Illinois
We have put all that stuff up in the cabinet instead of putting it on the counter, since she's figured out she can push a chair up to it and get stuff off the counter. I'm just really suprised those fish made it through.

Oct 14, 2005
Illinois
lol. The fish food has been out of her reach the whole time we've had the fish. We know she'd be in it. We just didn't think she'd go into the kitchen take pepper and bring into the living room to sprinkle in the fishtank. She's always in the fish tank and stuff but she's usually trying to get them to play with her. She's never tried feeding them anything before this whole incident happened.