Peppermint Shrimp

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I bought four of them today from the LFS, they are smalllllll, I would say 1/2 inch or a tad bigger. They should make it, if they learn to stay out of the Rose Ann. and the Coral banded dosn't eat them. I wanted to buy a frag of zoas or something, but the LFS isn't worth squat and they carry nothing, feel lucky if your LFS carries anything at all.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I bought two peppermints the other day. I have them in my frag tank. So far, it seems they're eating the aiptasia. I'm going to move corals into the tank from my main tank so they can get cleaned of aiptasia. So far, it seems to be working. I moved a small zoa colony in last night that had five aiptasias on it. This morning, I see none. I'll give it a few days to make sure it's aiptasia-free, then swap another coral from the main tank.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i had both peppermints and CB shrimp in the same tank with no problem tho it was prolly only like 6 months tops till i upgraded and evicted all crabs and shrimp :p i knew the CB could eat them but i didnt care cause the peppermint were only like $4 each and just about any lfs down here carries them

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Lotus, how big are the shrimp you put in your tank? As I said mine are small, but for all I know they maybe full grown, lol. If the Coral banded gives them any problems, I will take hime back to the LFS and trade him in for a few more Peppermint shrimp. Hopefuly he won't be a problem as I feed him and my cleaner shrimp every morning with piece of shrimp or fish the wife brings home from work, she works at a family owned seafood store, so my fish and Rose Ann. eat pretty well. I paid $5.99 a piece for them>

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think my shrimp were about 1" or a little less (body length) when I got them. I think they get to about 2", at least as far as I remember from the last ones I had. I had a pair when I first started the tank, but I guess they died at some point, as did my cleaner shrimp. I don't think they usually live more than 18 months or so.

Most fish and shrimp love a little bit of calimari/squid/shrimp. LPS Corals and anemones like it too, if the pieces are small.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
my cleaner shrimp recently vanished but i belive my mystery wrasse is the culprit! oh well i would have chose the $200 fish over the $20 shrimp anyways :p btw the reason i dont have any peppermints in my tank now is because during feeding time they were worse than the hermits as far as picking every last piece of food out of every zoo's mouth! thats when i decided on an all snail CUC... dont get me wrong i miss all the other life when i had hermits, peppermints, emerald crabs ect but i spend to much money on these corals

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I can't find peppermints to save my life anymore. Such a high demand for them people buy them out of the shipping bags when they hit the LFS doors.

My LFS is a frag city now, just when i leave of course....should be good when i come back though :D They just revamped their whole store. I feel very lucky.