Peppermint Shrimps Reef Safe

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I always though peppermint shrimps were reef safe. Reccently I introduced a peppermint srhimp into my tank. I found him on top of my LSP and GSP an my Xenia.
Rohn

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
They will eat aptasia in larger numbers, 20 or so and if they don't really have another food source... thats kinda the tricky part....

Side note::: the copperband butterfly is a much better choice for ridding of aptasia..

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well my 10 gallon at one point was totally covered in aptesia and i threw in 2 peppermint shrimps and within 3 or 4 days problem resovled *thumbsups

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
From what i have read, only pepperment shrimp from a certain area will eat aiptasia. When you buy them its a gamble with trying to get one. If your pepperment shrimp starts eating your corals than it might be a camel shrimp.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
most people get them mixed up because they look alike, google camel shrimp or hing-beaked shrimp, then googl epepperment shrimp, easy to tell the difference if you know what both look like

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
TRe said:
well my 10 gallon at one point was totally covered in aptesia and i threw in 2 peppermint shrimps and within 3 or 4 days problem resovled *thumbsups
WOW... I can't believe that 2 shrimp could eat that many aptasia in less than a week. You must have got the pick of the litter :)

I have never had success with them against aptasia...:mad: lol