Perfecto "protector"

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Anyone removed the plastic protector from a tank ?
Cheap perfecto like mine has a wide one in the middle, and my mh is losing 30 % of light. My glass is thin on my tank. Should i get rid of it and maybe change it with a homemade plexiglass protector glued to the tank ? ( already have some plexiglass )

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i wouldn't remove the plastic brace, that is just asking for trouble...gluing in a glass one would not provide the same support structure because of the way they are joined. Your MH bulb is far stronger than the PCs you had on there before so I wouldn't worry about it for now...and when you get your second MH then that problem is solved

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I know a lot of people that have the middle brace removed. In a matter of fact the store I work at has the middle brace removed on a lot of the 70s and 120s...makes it easier to catch fish. However I do not recommend it.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
On the other hand, I guess you also don't have the money for a new tank, live rock and inhabitants, should the tank fall apart if you remove the brace.

How thin exactly is the glass? We have a 55g that the previous owner removed the brace from, and there haven't been any problems, but the glass is pretty thick. It's definitely a big risk to take.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i would be worried about the seams failing as well because of the added pressure...and if you are paying $730 for a MH setup you are getting hosed...

maybe you should go back to your original lights until you can afford the others if you are worried about it, but i really think the single MH bulb will be fine even if some of the light is blocked

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
read that on reefcentral :There are many people here who remove the center brace on purpose, and replace it with a piece of clear acrylic (1/4" works best) by leaving a few inches of the cross brace in the front & back and drilling it with 1/4" holes to attach the new clear brace with 1/4" nylon bolts. It is done to get rid of that annoting shadow in the center of the tank. I say just repair it, as many people break the center brace out when they get a tank on purpose anyways...

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Well i did pay 350 $ ( CDN ) for an almost new giesemann with the bulb.
730 is what the previous owner paid in ..with tax. i have the bill.
440 us is the normal price without the bulb. Giesemann aren't that popular because of the price.
I don't know if i can find another used giesemann...'cause i'm looking for a super silent ballast, something extremely light, and something that doesn't heat too much.
If i don't find that or don't remove the brace , i could switch the bulb for a high intensity 10 000k or 13 000k.