PH Down is killing my bank account!!!

May 24, 2009
England
Hi guys,

I live in an area where the water is quite alkaline. I use PH down to lower the PH value but this method is seriously expensive and I was wondering what other methods i could use that would be much kinder on my wallet!

Cheers,
Andrew : )

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Honestly, in most cases you do not need to alter your PH if you are simply keeping fish.
Maybe in some cases you do if the fish only breed in say soft acidic water or the hard water would be harmful to them. I think that is rare and most fish will be fine in your water.

My water is very akaline and the total hardness is off the charts. I never mess with it.

Your LFS probebly has the same water as you do or close. Even still, properly acclimate the fish into your water and they should be fine.

Dont use PH up or down or any PH stabilizer. Your hardness is your stabilizer and why it is taking so much to move the ph.

Carbonic acid will lower your PH temporarily from Co2. It less of a swing when you have a lot of hardness in the water compared to softer water.

If you are looking for soft water for a specific reason, may be easier to use R/O water and mix it with yours for the desired PH and softness/hardness.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
All tap water is sufficient to keep fish. While I'm not familiar with the regulations of tap water in England, England isn't exactly a 3rd world country, so the standards should be fine. pH down/up is a very poor way to alter water parameters and can harm fish. I recommend altering water parameters only when necessary for specific needs such as growing certain plants or breeding certain fish. The safest and most effective way to lower pH or alkalinity is with RO water if you so require/desire it.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
the only rocks I know of raise your pH cause they dissolve and add to your hardness, which was said buffers the pH at a higher level..... maybe there are rocks that go the other way though....

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
All tap water is sufficient to keep fish. While I'm not familiar with the regulations of tap water in England, England isn't exactly a 3rd world country, so the standards should be fine. pH down/up is a very poor way to alter water parameters and can harm fish. I recommend altering water parameters only when necessary for specific needs such as growing certain plants or breeding certain fish. The safest and most effective way to lower pH or alkalinity is with RO water if you so require/desire it.
in NewYork usa
some of our (water)plants we have to bring up the ph.
we try to keep a neutral of 7.00 in drinking water but we dont have limits on ph
i forget what we use to alter but i will find out
i personally do the waste water side of things( which is a harder license to get than drinking water,which is meesed up but i am about to gain my license also in water.my tanks have always been between 7.2 and 7.8
hope this helps

May 24, 2009
England
Thank you Thank you Thank you

Thanks for all the replies you sent relating to my post. That's great news that I don't need to mess about with the PH and will save me a lot of time and money. Also thanks for telling me that constant changes with the PH could be harmful to fish, I certainly don't want to risk any harm to them!

Anyway thank you very much for all the help : )

Andrew