ph, hardness, and new fish

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
Ok so I have a couple of fish tanks. See signature. I bought a couple of new platy's for the pair I already had and one is dying. I lost two before that. Granted, I'm buying them at Walmart but still. How do I know what causes their death? This one is swimming around on it's side, spinning, laying on the bottom. They tend to look kinda thin and narrow before they die. Also my parameters are ok except my ph is always on the high side (I think, Jungle test strips can be a bit hard to read) and my water is very soft. Should I change these things? How?

Feb 18, 2013
With the fish that's left, is it eating ? If so, try feeding it a shelled split pea, frozen peas work well, just peal the shell off of it, and cut it into small enough pieces the platty can eat, if it's a swim bladder issue, this should help, it should also help increase it's apatite.

Beyond that, if your PH is significantly different than what the fish are use to, it could be putting them into shock, best bet would be to test the water they come in if you purchase any more, and compare it to your own. Do not try to match your water to theirs, rather slowly add some of your tank water to their water over the course of an hour or three. If you can add an airstone to their baggy while they adjust to your water temp \ conditions. Fish can adapt easily to most water conditions, you just have to let them do it gradually if there's a large difference.

When you can, you should look into upgrading your testing from strips to API's Master Freshwater Test Kit, they go for about $20, are much easier to read, and much more accurate.

One other thing you may want to do also is setup a Quarantine tank, changing environments can be stressful, being chased by a net, being put into different water, new sights, new sounds etc. If you salt your quarantine tank it'll help your fish adapt, by increasing their slime coat, and it also will help de-stress them. You'll also have a buffer for your tanks to help weed out diseases or parasites from entering your main tank.

Lastly, if you have a Local Fish Store, some mom and pop pet place, you'd likely be able to buy healthier fish there than from wal-mart, however if you don't have a better choice, then you'll probably always have a casualty or two when buying fish from there.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Just exactly what are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? They are the most important. The slightest bit of ammonia or nitrite could really cause a problem.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
DarkElf- It looks like you've been around for awhile.

Hopefully you're testing for the above like Thyra suggests. Those are your important parameters for fish like platys.

Other that that, you don't what you're getting from Wal*Mart. Their sale tanks could be totally polluted or diseased and the fish can't take the acclimation to your tank. Of course the opposite can be true too! Hopefully not.

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
i forget the exact readings. Just ordered an api master test kit :)

i work at this walmart and we keep our tanks somewhat decent. Me and a few other associates keep an eye on them to check for diseases and such. They get fed too much i know :( but i dont know what condition they're in before they came. One day we had just gotten ghost shrimp. All died that day. Dunno why. And i'm constantly telling customers at the register (i'm a cashier) that their bowls are too small and they dont usually seem to care :/ i guess i can't talk since soon i'm gonna have to rehome my pleco but at least i have plans.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
As a blind guess, I'd say the nitrates are very high in the store tanks and when the fish get into the low nitrate environment at home, they die from the stress of it. I've read that hardy fish can acclimate to extremely high nitrates over time and will die when put into the clean water they should be living in.

How often do they do water changes in the sale tanks at your store? Hopefully OFTEN?

Feb 27, 2009
Any time I buy fish (usually mail order), I always test the bag's water to see what the parameters are. As stated, any sudden change (even to BETTER water conditions) can be deadly. When I compare the water to my QT's water, I then know how long to drip acclimate them (30 mins minimum, up to 4 hours).

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
Well they transfered the older guy who knew what he was doing to foods. The replacement eventually got fired. Now the person caring for that department I don't think has much fish experience. But between me and the 2 guys, we help. Giving her tips like "that fluffy white stuff is fin fungus, put this stuff in there" and "plecos can't go with the goldfish, they're coldwater fish and plecos need warm" and sometimes I dump our the betta bowls and refil them with water from another tank (not the best idea but I wasn't sure if completely fresh water was good either). The tank's glass gets cleaned pretty regularly though. A few days ago I worked nights and the tanks were clear. Next morning, the tropical fish tanks were all cloudy. Me and one of the guys both had seen it the night before and wasn't sure what happened so he did a water change.

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
Ok so I tested the water in the platy tank at walmart. They have hard water and I have soft. We both have high ph and low nitrate/nitrite. The ammonia in both tanks is like .25, which is worse than 0 but still not HORRIBLE. The fish I just got are doing ok; I added my tank water to the bag gradually as suggested.

On a related note, often after I get new fish they look funny before they die. The rear half is lower and the fins seem more 'closed'. I drew a pic. What's it mean?

fishies.jpg