pH help

Feb 5, 2009
So, I am nearing the end of my cycle for my 55 gallon aquarium. I got a new test kit and tested the pH levels and they were 8.5! Then I tested my tap water and it was 8. So, in my aquarium all that I have is some driftwood, rocks, sand, and flourite.

To help fix the problem, I took out the rocks thinking that they could make the pH go higher. Also I changed about 10 gallons of water with clean, treated water.

I am planning on getting live plants next week, so I made myself a DIY CO2 diffuser with the soda bottles and yeast. I had read that CO2 can lower your pH, so I hooked all that up last night and let it run. Then, today I tested my pH in my tank and it was 8.

I have a smaller aquarium that I use my tap water for and haven't had a problem with it.

Ideally I would like it around 7 or 7.5, so what else can I do?

Last edited:

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Why are you aiming for that specific pH -- are you planning on breeding fish that prefer that range? Seriously, you may be creating an issue where none exists.

Should you really need that pH, you can get peat inserts to place in your filter to help lower pH.

Did you test your tap water after it sat out overnight? Sometimes that reading is different from the one straight from the tap.