pH is 6.3. Is this too low ??

Oct 20, 2008
Hi everyone...
Im new to fish lore, and to having a tank. Basically Im a beginner.
I have set up my tank, and everything is running smoothly. ie heater, water pump etc. Its only been 1 day and I shall be waiting patiently for my nitrogen cycle to begin...
However after testing my water and having it confirmed, its pH is 6.3. Is this too low, for my intended tropical fish or for the bacteria to develop?
Will Coral Sand help raise the pH to atleast ph 7?
Please help...

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
A lot depends on what type of fish you are planning on. If you want angels, tetras, ottos, bn plecs they will love it. I'm assuming it is pretty soft water as well as being slightly acidic. You may have a harder time if you had your heart set on african rift lake cichlids.

But, I would say that before you start messing with your pH, make sure you want to go down that road. It's usually called chasing the dragon, because at each water change you will have to alter your tapwater to try and mimic the water already in the tank. It can be tricky. A big change in pH or TDS will cause some stress and possibly shock to your fish.

Most fish in the hobby will do pretty well in pH 6.3, especially if is constant and unchanging. For example, my planted tank has a pH of around 5.5. The fish and the plants are both happy.