Ph problems

Kellie

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
I am seeking advice regarding my PH. I just moved my 46g tank and took my water to the LFS for testing. The PH read 7.4. At our new home the water is well water and 7.0 out of the tap. At my old house (on city water) it was 6.7ish. Amyway I moved the tank this weekend. All fish are doing fine, but I'd like to add a few more, so that is why I took the water in for testing.I did not clean my filter during the move as I wanted to keep all the bacteria. No new plants, fish etc. Just new water.

Thanks for your help!!

Kellie

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hi Kellie!
What was your tank reading at your old home (not your tap reading - what the actual water in your tank was after the fish were in it, etc.)
Did you re-use any of the old tank water when you set up the tank at it's new location? Or did you use straight tap from your new faucet?
I wouldn't mess with the ph - if the fish are doing ok so far, I would give it a month or so to let them gradually get used to the new ph from your new home from doing water changes, and then think about adding new fish.
Using chemicals to change your ph is only good is you are trying to breed fish. Other than that, they will get used to just about whatever ph you have them in, as long as it is done gradually. It causes your fish more harm than good to tinker with their ph.
They will be fine, and congratulations on your new home! :)

Kellie

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
The water in my tank before the move was 6.7ish. I transfered about a gallon and a half of the old water during the move.

I guess I'm just frusterated because I want a pair of Gold Rams and some Cardinal Tetras to add to my tank. The Cardinals are sensitive to higher PH. But as I have said many a time, a fish tank is the biggest test of patience I have ever had to go through!!!

Thanks for the advice!

Kellie

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Is the LFS close to your home? Do you know what ph their fish are in? If you need to, you could still get new fish, it's your current fish that I was concerned about (and the ph change). You can do a drip acclimate and get the new fish you purchase used to your tank's ph. Takes a lot of time, but well worth it in the long run.
Good luck if you do purchase some new Rams. I can't keep them alive in my tank :(.
How are your fish doing after the move/new ph of new home water?