Ph Question

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I know they say not to mess with Ph, but apparently the Ph coming out of my tap is very high...and it concerns me. I'm talking around 8.2. My fish seem to be fine in it, but should I be concerned about more delicate fish I may add in the future?

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
what is it in your tank? my tap is off my test chart but my tank hovers around 7.2 - 7.4. personally, i wouldn't mess with it but if you're very concerned, you can add some crushed oyster shells or peat to your tank. peat will turn the water a little brownish, some people like the way it looks. if you do decide to add stuff to bring it down...go very very very slow with. take several days even because a large swing could be fatal.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Stability is the key for the fish. They adapt just fine. But if you decide you want to make a small change, add a large piece of Malaysian Driftwood. I had 2 pieces in my 55G, currently only 1, and my ph hovers about .5-.6 less than my tap water after sitting out 24 hours. It won't lower it immediately, it gradually lowered over about a month before it stabalized. My tap is 7.8, and my tank sits at 7.2-7.4. Other than that, I would not use any chemicals in the tank. And I personally don't like using RO water, because then you have to make sure you get the correct mixture before doing your PWC. So for my opinion, either leave it, the fish will be fine, or add driftwood, will lower the ph a little bit naturally.

Jul 21, 2006
uk northampton
whenever ive wanted to change the PH ive always used this powder called ''proper PH' it worked a treat within a few minutes and my fish have never had a problem with it, but with so much negativity on here about adding chemicals to do the job, try and avoid these.......

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
The thing about using chemicals to adjust ph is you can have a rebound effect, and swings in ph will make your fish sick. If you absolutely have to adjust your ph, which in nearly all cases is unnecessary, you must do it in a natural, constant manner which will produce a stable result, not by adding chemicals.