PH Rise...Natural pebble gravel

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I used to have regular gravel in my tank but I wanted a more natural look. I bought a bag of natural pebble gravel from Petsmart and replaced most of my old gravel with it. On the bag it said that it may effect the PH over time. I put the new gravel in about a week ago and today I checked my PH and it was at 7.2. I'm usually between 6.8 and 7.0. Does anyone else use this type of gravel? I'm wondering how much more my PH will rise. My tank consists of mostly Tetras, Minnows and Danios. I also have 2 Barbs and a few Dwarf Gouramis.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
As long as the PH doesn't change too fast - or go too high (8.5s) you shouldn't have much of a problem. In most cases, stable ph is more important than a specific ph (unless you're breeding).

I don't think it will go too high though, if the stuff is made for the aquarium, it's not going to hurt the aquarium.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
Etheostoma said:
Probably not much more than 7.6

Do you happen to know the pH requirements of your fish? If not, find out, then you'll know whether or not to worry.
The fish I keep require a pH between 6.0 and 7.2. That's why I'm worried that it'll go even higher.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
hyunelan2 said:
As long as the PH doesn't change too fast - or go too high (8.5s) you shouldn't have much of a problem. In most cases, stable ph is more important than a specific ph (unless you're breeding).

I don't think it will go too high though, if the stuff is made for the aquarium, it's not going to hurt the aquarium.
Thanks. Hopefully you're right:)