pH Stabilizers?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
has anyone ever used stuff like Correct pH 6.5 or similar which is supposed to buffer your water, remove chlorine, and set your water to 6.5 pH?

I'm thinking this is an easier solution than messing around with crushed coral, baking soda, epsom salts, ph Ups/downs, etc.

Wonder if anyone has used this stuff or have any opinions on it?

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
It is usually recommended to leave your Ph wherever it is. What is your Ph now and what fish are in the tank? My tank has a Ph of 8 or a little more and I keep angelfish, tetras, and a loach without a problem. Many times adding a chemical to your tank does more harm than good.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
my pH is about 6.4 right now. but theres no buffering in my water and it has dropped below 6.0 the past. it flucturates alot. Tap water has a ph of 6.7. KH and GH are both 1.0

Was thinking of an easy method to create water for water changes that matched current conditions...

this tank is for dwarf gouramis and some shrimp.

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
Wow, always dangerous to mess with the pH. The fluctuations have more adverse effects than the stable low or high you have in the tap. Is this a new tank still establishing? I would definitely say no to the bottled additives (pH Up/Down) though.

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Well, if there is a danger of your Ph crashing then I would say you might need to do something. What that something is, I don't know. :D Maybe someone with more experience on Ph can help you out.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If your pH continues to fluxuate I think I'd look into some 'natural' ways to stabilize it like crushed coral. It would be better IMO to fool around with the pH now while you dont have any fish in the tank to hurt!

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
yeah...thanks guys. I'm not gonna mess around with chemicals in my tiny 3 gallon. I've been doing research into different ways of stablizing pH and adding more buffering. I prefer the more natural stuff like crushed coral but ive never done it before so im a little nervous..

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
What you need to do with crushed coral is put it in a mesh bag (available at the LFS for a dollar or two) in the filter. You only need to use about a teaspoon of it for a small tank. The nice thing about putting it in a bag in the filter is that you can take it out whenever you want. Of course, you will need to monitor your pH and KH for a while to see how it does. I have used it in the past fairly sucessfully to increase my KH. I bought mine at a fish store that sold it by the pound, as a 15lb bag was more money and more crushed coral than I wanted. :)

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
cool thanks Lotus..I saw a bag of crushed coral at a LFS but it was 15 lbs like you said..more than i need! They also did not sell a mesh bag. I wonder if chains like Petco would carry that stuff or sell coral by the pound?

I might have to resort to buying some tomatos on the vine, since they come in a mesh net sometimes..!