pH sucks !!!

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
Hi,
Ive had this problem before, in my fry tank, my pH is at 5.0 or it could be even lower for all i know! but it put pH up in, and the next day, its back at 5.0 again. what do i do ? i cant keep putting pH up in forever?? :cool: ive bin to my lfs but they keep saying..... 'just keep putting pH up in' so i dunno what to do, i think some of you smart people on here should know !! *BOUNCINGS

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Ph up is nothing more than a temporary fix. It will not hold the water chem steady. They keep telling you to add it so you have to buy it.

What's the pH, KH, and GH of your tap water, tank water, and other tank's as well.

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
erm, i dont know what KH is, but i think the pH is neutral in the tap water and other tank, and the water is soft, because people in the south in the UK would kill for our water, up there, its really hard water

p.s. ive already got pH up, im onto my second bottle now

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
sounds like the same problem i have with my soft, acidic, no buffered water. Do a search for "Low pH" and "buffering" threads..there were alot of useful posts when I asked the same questions..

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
KH=Carbonate Hardness
GH=General Hardness

The KH refers to the waters buffering capacity and is very relavent in this situation. If you have low KH, and it sounds like you do, then this allows for the Ph to change more rapidly than if you had a higher KH.

Search around on the site some. There have been many many discussions on these subjects.