Phos Reactor

Dragonet

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2009
Kingston ON.
So I have a few questions in this thread.
I'm looking into a U.V. sterilizer and Phos reactor for my 140G but I also have a refugium and have no experience with these but what I'm wondering is would the sterilizer and phos reactor not defeat the purpose of the refugium if I'm going to grow macro algae.

And if not can someone point me in the direction of a good sterilizer and reactor cause I've never used either before.
Thanks.

Liam.

Dragonet

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2009
Kingston ON.
personally id skip the uv but i wouldnt setup another tank without the phos reactor ;)
Ive found alot of variables with U.V. sterilizer, you could have a low wattage bulb but have the current running through fast or you could have a high wattage bulb and have the current running fast, and to be honest I wouldnt know how to really calibrate either. But how come youd skip the sterilizer?

Now having the phos reactor, would that not defeat the purpose of having a refugium to grow macro algae?

Liam

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
a fuge alone will NEVER completley eliminate phosphates so its good to attack it from both angles that way you have a better chance @ zero phosphates... ive had good success using a phos reactor along with the fuge/chaeto.... as far as the uv ive had a tank going since 04 and have never used one. a UV not only kills bad stuff but good stuff along with it! HTH!