Phos Zorb

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I bought this today, since no rowaphos or ferric hydroxide chemical was available. I have a little phos prob, i may have overfed. I know there's aluminum oxide in this product and corals might be irritated, along with inverts when there's a good amount in the reef.
Does anyone had tested this product ?? Good luck, bad luck ?

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
go to the source. if you have a phos problm and you know that you've been over-feeding, then water changes and less frequent feedings will correct it. i wouldn't risk using phos zorb if you think your inverts may get irritated. i dont like to use chemicals unless absolutly necessary.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Tnx but i know and i do water changes..
may be stuck in the rock/substrates..cause i've seen encrusting diatoms...not the fluffy ones..the bad ones
i prefer water changes and macro algae to chemical solutions too but now i'm kinda out of options and very very low on salt. Anyways, someone tested this product ?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok well this product is crap..i'm losing my biggest zoanthid colony + another is fading...had em for like a year and they're ugly and sick since i started. Bad move. Bad product.
All params are ok except a little Po4 ( and now some alu + non-testable stuff)
A guy had lost zoanthids + other inverts with this crappy product. Shame on me for not finding reviews faster and put it in my tank anyways and shame on their product.. claim to help coral grow because po4 is going away..
well in this case Green-X too would "help" for a day or so before killing all lifeform except fish. Oh well i'm pissed..
and the Phos Zorb bottle does NOT indicated what's inside.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=1020018

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Now that it's removed, the white spots are going away....so it really is a problem with phos zorb. Maybe we should create a page where doubtful products and recommended one are listed. Just to warn people about what's inside the box or what experience they had with it.
I'm adding a new polyfilter and just bought a 150g coralife salt bucket. Time to change some water

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
This is well known - al based P removers can be hard on softies, zo's, star polyps, Fe based like rowaphos have been implicated in hammering SPS in some situations.
I use some Al stuff, but if you use a little continuously and wash it good before use the problems are limited

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I never had probs with rowa but i don't keep SPS. I washed crap-zorb really well.
This is my first Al product, and quite frankly, i chose the cheapest one. No Rowa or Phosban available in town when i needed them.
I noticed too my GPS aren't all opened like they always are.