Phosphate levels way too high... what can I do?

Jan 21, 2008
I have a 4 week old tank still going through the nitrogen cycle. In the last week and a half I have developed algae that I've best been able to identify as hair/beard algae. Green string like algae growing on my silk plants and on the glass. After reading up on what can cause this and how to control it, one thing I looked at is my Phosphate levels. I tested my water out of the tap (well water by the way) and out of the tank. There is phosphate present in the well water (around 4-5 PPM it looks like). But my tank water Phosphate levels are off the charts.

I decided on a fishy cycle process (please no bashing) and I feed the fish a small amount of flake food every other day. I keep up with water changes. I've have also cut the daily light back by several hours.

I added API's Phos-Zorb to my canister filter on Thursday 2/14. Re-tested the water on 2/15 and the Phosphate reading is still through the roof.

How long should it be before I start to see a reduction and eventual elimination (if possible) of the Phosphate levels in my tank?

In addition to less frequent fish feedings, fewer hours of daily light, and the Phos-Zorb in the filter, any other recommendations to get the phosphates down? And how about any other measures to rid (or significantly reduce) this type of algae from my tank?

Tank profile:

Freshwater

46 gallon

Ph 7.8

Temp 78 degrees

Thanks,

Dave

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I believe plants could help. Some beginer lowlight plants to compete with the algae.

I know with some decent water flow java moss grows like crazy for me

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Algae is REALLY normal in a new tank. And by new I mean under 6 months old. I wouldn't worry about it TOO much until you are completely done cycling your tank. It's a natural by product of the water fluctuations. You CAN limit it by keeping your tank out of direct sun light and limiting the ammount of time your light is on during the day.

Once you're completely done cycling your tank get a couple of Otos or a Bristlenose Pleco (you have to wait till you're completely done they're very sensitive fishes) and they'll take care of all your Algae woes for you.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Plants totally help too.

That said algae isn't bad per say it's just unsightly. I have algae in my frog tank that stays on one rock and doesn't seem to venture else where and I just leave it. It's using up nitrates and when I do clean it up it helps me remove the nitrates from the tank.