photoperiod

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
hey guys,
just within the last couple weeks I added a fuge and have been running it with Chaeto and gracilera(sp?) on a reverse photoperiod for about 16 hours a day, its doing really well and I like the fuge alot, keeps ph pretty steady at night, I guess my question is if anybody knows what would happen if I ran the fuge 24/7? would it eventually just collapse? or bleach out the algaes? wild ph swings? go sexual? any ideas?
thanks
Brahm

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
I've been doing a lot of research on macro including Caulerpa as i've been running a fuge myself now and it seems that the biggest reason caulerpa will go sexual is due to lack of nutrients. You don't want to let it grow out of control without pruning and let it eat itself out of house and home. You have to figure out what quantity to keep in your fuge at a given time so that it won't completely use up all of the phos and nitrate and be out for too long. I keep Caulerpa, Chaeto, and sea lettuce in a 10 gal fuge and I run 90watts 6000K for 14 hours over night and its growing like crazy.