Photos

War Eagle

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2008
Cumming, Georgia
Supra I didn't want to hijack you 29 thread so I just started a new one. Your latest pics of your tank got me thinking. How do you and others get such great pictures of your tank? I do not have a great digital camera, it a nikon cool pix, but it's seems to be good for everything except taking pictures of my tank. I'm trying to use the full auto mode but it just won't focus properly when zoomed in on my tank. Do I need to come out of auto? What f stop and such should I use?

I would love to post more pics of my tank but I just can't get the quality I want. can I do it with what I have?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I find that turning off the powerheads and using a tripod helps get better pictures. It's hard for the camera to focus when there's a lot of movement in the tank. Macro mode is good for closeups, but you may need a tripod (or something to rest the camera on) to get a decent shot that's in focus. Sometimes it will depend on the camera for what setting is best. I find the "action" setting on my camera better for some things (like fish). Try to use a setting where the flash doesn't come on. I find the flash really ruins the pictures.

Also, check Cichid-Man's post in the Freshwater Rate My Tank section for more tips.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
another thing i found is if you use flash try to take pics at an angle instead of straight on. i have secenary mode (looks like mountains) on my kodak EasyShare and in that mode there are alot of options. check them out and just take pics with each one you think will work. it took me a little while but now that i found it i don't use too many of the other options. good luck

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I've been using cheap Samsung cameras for years now. They have a mode called ASR for antishake and it turns off the flash, lowers the ISO, and ups the exposure and then compensates for camera movement. It also works in macro mode. When you look at my 90 thread most of the pictures are taken in this mode.

simplyfish

Medium Fish
Feb 18, 2008
Can I hijack the end of this thread... I have a couple of pictures I want to post and have opened a photo bucket account but can't quite work out how to post them from there to here..... I am probably missing something really simple but any top tips?