Phytoplankton

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Would phytoplankton be benificial to my aquarium. I have some live rock in it and some really small feather dusters growing in it. I was told phytoplankton would help clear up the orangish stuff on the glass. ANyone know anything about this? I have purchased some of the concentrated stuff of this that you keep in the fridge.

Thanks.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No. Not very much actually eats phytoplankton. It's a bit of a con trick unles you keep gorognians or a few other things. Most corals and cnidarians won't eat it , and I suspect most worms won't either. It's quite useful for growing more useful foods though.
The brown stuff on your glass is a film of diatomaceous algae, that will disappear soon enough aas they will be outcompeted for food by other algae.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well I don't think very many corals eat it at all. I've no experience with clams. It reputedly has a useful shelf life of only 2 months give or take before gets old and lumpy, and you have to mechanically whisk it before you use it else it just floats round in clumps.
It's also called 'Pollution in a bottle'. And it really won't do a thing for your diatom problem