pics of 10 gal.

phantomfe3

Large Fish
Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
well i took some pictures of my 10 gallon, here she is, awaiting a skimmer, brighter lights and coral

front

left side

right side

my arc eyed hawkfish chillin on the heater

notice you can see some of the corraline algae growing on some of the rocks, i took a picture of one but its kindof blurry, but the rock in the pic was bare of corraline when i put it in the tank in late april, notice the small spots of purple and green corraline growing on it, very faint and very thin, but its growing :D :D :D

Chriss

New Fish
Jun 13, 2004
Texas
Visit site
nano reefs

Looks good! I am just beginning to research nano reefs. I was considering a 10 to 12 gallon for a starter. Any tips to offer? ;) Are you finding it more difficult to keep up with than your freshwater setups?

phantomfe3

Large Fish
Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
not really harder to keep, but it takes alot more time and ALOT more money! also more time consuming, but not anymore difficult.

edit:

forgot to mention, i got new lights today! two 42 watt screw in compact flourescents, 84 watts total, check em out

kinda yellowish colored, but i can live with that, ill be adding a blue light here in a few weeks to balance out the color

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
not too shabby...bound to help

if it was me, i would enclose the box fully as well because that light is going to be blinding...though you may just have it opened up for our viewing pleasure...somewhere i remember seeing a 50/50 screw in bulb like those...might be something worth looking into...unfortunately i seem to have deleted the link

phantomfe3

Large Fish
Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
that would be awesome if i could get my hands on a 50/50 screw in light. as far as enclosing in ful, i have the front parton a hinge so i can get in and outfor feeding and putting new stuff in and whatnot. it would be a pain if ihad totake it off every time i added a new frag or something. ill be adding alot of stuff in the next few weeks hopefuly :D

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'd spend some time and energy trying to get hold of that bulb. That yellowish colour isn't just annoying, but will gee up algae growth a bit too much. What are they rated as, 4500 K's?

Dr's Foster and Smith have 10K's and 50 50's at 9.99 USD

phantomfe3

Large Fish
Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
thoose! thats what i had before i swapped, not the 50/50s but the 6500K 10w ones, that was kinda the whole reason why i putmy setup together, to have more than 20w on the tank. with the 50/50s do you think i will still be able to have mushrooms lowlights and softies?

phantomfe3

Large Fish
Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
ok i switched my lights back to my 6,500K 10z screwins. i also picked up a desklamp today at walmart for 20 bucks, i noticed it had a compact flourescent light and i read an article RC that a guy took apart a lamp like this and used it for his tank, so i did the same thing.

i can kinda tell a difference in color between the new 13w CF and the 10w CF screw ins, the 13w is just a TAD yellower, but barely noticeable, so im guessing its right around 6500K. but it doesnt matter, i will be upgrading to the 13w 50/50 bulb from hello lights, so ill have the 10,000k and the blue actinic (i can never get that word right, i dont even know how to say it out loud, heh) and it will look alot better i think. so without further ado, here are my old lights in my new setup, and my new light in my new setup.

and the ballast, i attached it on the outside of the hood, away from splashing water incase it falls in somehow or something, this is a good idea so idont electrocute my fish and ruin my lighting