Picture of new Cucumber

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
whoa that things bad....
hmm ive always wanted a sea apple but have heard if they die they release toxins.
isthe same true with yer new cucumber?

nice pic :)

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
They are supposedly some what low matinence and feed on algae, detritus and also are filter feeders and should be fed phytoplankton. This is my first cucumber, I paid $30.00 Cnd for hiim. I love the color of it and it make a great addition to the tank. If any one has experiance with this guy I would appritiate any helpfull tips.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My helpful tip is take it back before it wipes out your tank. It is absolutely doomed to death by starvation as the fact it's brightly coloured and has those long branching 'things' means 1. it's toxic and 2. it's a filter feeder not a detritivore.

Unless you're prepared to grow fresh phyto or buy it, or cultivate rotifers or other nano plankton it's doomed to die in your tank, and that bright colour would have me worried.

I strongly doubt you will be able to feed it with phyto/nano plankton sub foods unless you can get the chilled stuff, and then whisk it down to stop clumping.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
wayne said:
My helpful tip is take it back before it wipes out your tank.

Yes there is the posibility that if this cucumber died it could possibly spue it's stomach inside out and release potent toxins into the tank...but these guys are a pretty hardy cucumber from my understandings and they are not only filter feeders. I have live refrigerated filter food and as well bottled pytoplex supliment. I am pretty confident I can keep this guy alive and I will deffinity keep my eye on him for any signs of danger. Thanks for the concern and if you have any other thoughts good/bad please post for me to hear.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Can you give me a reference saying this is a filter feeder. Stick with the frozen stuff as the phytoplex will be pretty much valueless even if you whisk it.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
wayne said:
Can you give me a reference saying this is a filter feeder. Stick with the frozen stuff as the phytoplex will be pretty much valueless even if you whisk it.

Aside from two LFS stating this here is one link with a reference to this cucumber

http://www.aquacon.com/cucumbers.html

My LFS is usually pretty good and if I run into a problem and they would help out (ie. take it back). It's hard to find any info on this particular one and if you have any refferences to this cucumber I would appretiate it.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Cucumber is AOK no signs of any stress and it seems to be eating. It is cool to watch you can actually see it take one of it's branches and shove it into it's mounth and then pull it out and stick another one in. It does this when I put in the filter food especially. I also noticed it eat a peice of plant that I puchased to throw into my tank for food for everything in there, not sure how to spell it (colarpa) I know that is not even close to the correct name but something like that.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
OCCFan023 said:
hows he doing salty? I randomly remembered this thread and was wondering how he was doin

It's doing good I am really glad I purchased it; adds a nice touch to the tank!

I feed it about 2x week and once a day I stur up the substrate by blasting water with a turkey baster at it. This releases particles into the water colum for it to filter feed on.

He moves around the tank to find a new resting spot every once in a blue moon. I have a picture in my other post that you can kinda see him on the glass. see the link below.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31186