Pictus catfish netting disaster!

Nov 15, 2008
Well so I just learned this the hard way: DON'T USE NORMAL GREEN NETS TO CATCH YOUR PICTUS! But unfortunatly for me the mistake's all ready been done. I was able to do a pretty clean fast job untangling one of my pictus' out of the net but the other one now has it's barbs broken on both side fins and one of his fins might have possibly been dislocated. I feel guilty and terrible for the poor fish he ain't looking too good right now. What should I do about this? How well can I expect him to recover?

Jun 21, 2008
I'm not sure about how well it will work, but I've heard good things about melafix. You can read up on the instructions, I think you might need to remove carbon from the filter with it, but I'm not sure. It should help repair him. You also may want to look into some sort of anti bacterial medication if melafix doesn't include one, not sure on that. Other people might have other suggestions too. I made the same mistake with my pictus, but he was already dead, so it wasn't too tragic. I've read that netting them with either a metal strainer or just a big cup is the best way to go, but I'm not positive on either of those. Sorry to hear about your fish, hopefully he'll recover.