Pink spots (coraline?) on the glass.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Hi Everyone

I have a lot of Pink spots (coraline?) on the glass. I scrape them on the front, but leave them in the back.

Is this a good / bad sign? I was under the impression that pink coraline was a sign of a healthy tank. Am I completely wrong?

The rest of my reef is doing very well, and overall, I am very pleased with the 30g reef tank.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Here is what I found somewhere else
The purple pink scale sounds like it could be coralline algae, it is a calcerous growth and basically when you get an abundance of this stuff it means that your tank is set up and running almost perfectly (I say almost perfectly because no ones set up is perfect). If you are getting too much on your tank glass the best way to get it off is to use a razor blade and scrape it off carefully,making sure not to scratch the tank glass, but I would be tempted not to get rid off too much of it because it is beneficial to the equilibrium of your set up.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I wouldn't say it means your tank is running perfectly, but it is a sign the tank is getting mature. If you have a lot of it, you will need to monitor your calc. and alk. more carefully, as it can use up quite a bit of both.

You should scrape it off the front glass before you can't see your fish any more!