Piranhas

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I will start out this thread with the second predatory fish that I plan to get ( the other one is an arrowana).  I will continue with the tradition of getting a moderately planted tank in my 60 gallon for this.  I think this will be great for the piranhas to swim in.  Anyways,  I haven't taken care of piranhas for like 15 years but now I am back into it again.  The only problem is that my LFS sells only a greyish appearing piranha instead of the red belly piranha.  Anybody have any idea what's the most common fish store piranha that is grey excluding the red belly piranha of course.  I don't even know what the name of this type of piranha is and it seems my LFS doesn't either other than telling me to put a 10 dollar deposit per 1 1/2 inch fish before he sells it to me.  He has to sell it to me under the table because it's kinda illegal here. (woops)  

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
[glow=color,strength,width][/glow]The fish that u are discribing is i think they might be Red bellied piranhas only juveniles 8)Or something else that none of my books have in them.
8)

D

discusaquarium

i think i've heard of a black piranhas - that might be what they are - hope i could help  ::)

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=Bettaman_shane link=board=pred&num=991826835&start=0#3 date=06/06/01 at 14:44:25]
they are probable Winmples piranhas... Blach piranhas are black.. juvenile reb bellies have more color then when they are adult ;D
[/quote]

Juveniles can be bright red, Ive kept 9 so far. They are grey when they are malnourished. Anyways, it doesn't really matter. The arowana will frighten the pirahnas (happens easily) and they will fight. I guarantee the pirahnas will severly damage the arowana, and the arowana will get a few bites in as well. Arowana will likely lose overall.

If you want a proper arowana predator tank, arowana occupying the top of tank, go for stingrays. Much, much, much more compatible. Pirahnas will take down even large armored plecos, which don't move very much in the first place, not very scary to the pirahnas.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Also, the term predator also means tank redecorator. Forget about keeping a nice planted tank, even with the arowana. You'd need a bigger tank. The arowana will pull up anything but potted plants, and damage the ones it can't uproot.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Just to clarify, the piranhas and the arrowanas are in separate tanks.  My problem is trying to make up my mind in terms of what I am trying to accomplish with my tanks.  I love heavily planted tanks cause it looks great but I also love those predatory fishes.  I am not really into community fishes at this time.  Probably that time will come when my arrowana outgrows his tank which is probably soon.

Oct 22, 2002
if your close to jersey you can have my red bellies...they suck:)
They sit in one spot facing into the power head...its the most rediculous thing:)
and they spook like there's no tomorrow! I've had a few jump out of the tank when I only have the smallest opening to squeeze through they do it.

Duellsy

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.geocities.com
piranhas are more beautifully coloured when they are younger, ie they have red on the their gill covers etc. when they age the redness is concentrated to the belly (hence red belly piranha)
my GUESS is that the piranha that you are talking about would be the dark-banded piranha...
-Duellsy

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes, I wish I had a big tank to get all those piranhas.  It's illegally to sale them here in California.  In fact, one of my LFS had been fine about $500 per fish that he hid in the back.  I think he had like 10-15 piranhas.  Someone must have tipped the authorities though.
If I do plan to have some in the future.  Probably put like 30 of them in a 200 gallon and throw in a chicken.! ;D
Err. j/k
Piranhas are only cool if you have really big schools otherwise they just sit there and do nothing.
Does anybody own these killer tetras that are supposedly very carnivorous?

Oscardude

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Be really careful. I've been hearing alot about people selling fake Piranha's.  Red Belly's should be red and silver or red and blackish.  They can be really cool fish. I've got mine with an oscar,ropefish,... He gets along ok.  I've found lots of cool sights just run a search.  When I've had them without other breeds of fish they are very boring but when put in with other breeds they are very curious and active. I'm not sure about plants oscar won't let me keep them in his tank.  Black Piranhas be really big and really mean. but it does not sound like one of those

jbfootin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
dattack-
The piranha you are describing sounds like a black piranha.  I had one years back.  They are the meanest ones I think you can get.  The one we had was about 1.5" when we got him and he killed the 3 other red bellies we had, all over  5" long.  The main diff was his mouth was more pointed than the more round snout on the reds.  

geoff-
I had few problems with the reds eating Plecos as long as the plecos were large.  I seemed like about once a year I would have to ge another pleco though.

I always found that the color of the of the reds changed with their feeding.  I think they turn red when they are were eating if i remember corectly

Jay

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
 Has anyone had any experience with raising small pirahnas. I have two my local fish wholesaler is giving me, one to keep & the other to raise for him for a while (he's overloaded with Angelfish breeding-has no time). Anyway, he told me to keep them in a bare tank, no substrate or plants. Use a secure lid and good filtration, and I have to keep them in separate tanks for now. One is 2 inches long, the other 1.5 inches long. Lighting subdued & not to place them near high traffic areas in home as not to startle them. As for the bare tank, he said that when startled, they  bump & scrape objects in the tank & may catch infections *crazysmiley*. I not sure if this is just a temporary thing since they're small fish right now. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. ???

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I know some of the guys that breed red belly piranhas.  All the 1" babies are in bare tanks.  It's true that piranhas are not very sociable fish and frightens very easily, especially when the lights come on.

Oscardude

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've never had a black but I've got my red belly's with some ropefish and they have never seemed to notice them.  But I only have 2 red bellys in my tank so they should be a little more agressive if you have more of them.

riddlephil

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i have 2 red bellies in my 50 gal with one bucktoothed tetra.  He keeps the piranhas at bay.  The only thing i ever see him eat are fish scales!  I have never seen him attack a goldfish or a guppy or anything like that.  Good fish to go with piranhas though.  (very fast swimmer)