pirhana and oscar in same tank?will it work

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
I want to buy an oscar and keep it with my 2 red bellies.one is about 6 inches.and the other about 3.I heard that as long as i keep them well fed it shouldnt be a problem.please help

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Hmmmmmm.....I dont think so. I think you would need a VERY big tank to keep both pirhana and oscar.You would also need a very large filter as they are both very messy fish,even then large,frequent water changes.

Even if you could do all that I still would not chance it,I have been told that pirhana must be kept in a species tank,however others may say diffrent.........

If your tank is big enough,why not get a black belly pirhana or a golden one.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Some guy on one of the predatory fish forums, i forgot which one, posted a video of him dropping an unaclimated oscar into his P tank. The oscar was fighting the attacker off at first till it was attacked by all 6 at once. No chance, then the guy bragged about how tough Ps were and how weak cichlids were.....oh it was on some P forum.....what an idiot. But anyway, pretty hard to watch the video.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
my tank is only a 29 gallon.i want a 55.i know its already kinda small for 2 pirhanas.but the oscars arnt very big.im a student,and i dont got too much moneys.i just want a fish more aggressive than the 2 i already have

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Oscars really aren't that aggressive. They are teritorial, and will eat anything they can fit into there mouths. Including other fish. This is where they get a bad rap from I belive. Oscars are 'Wet pets'. They can actualy interact to a point with there owners and those around them. Mine would splash the water when he wanted a treat of freeze dried shrimp, attention, or food. And alway rush up to the front of the tank when he saw me come into the room.

What are you actualy wanting here? A fish that will tear up any other fish you put in with it so you can watch? I figure the P's would do that. You looking for something that will even attack your hand if you put it into the tank, then look at some of the teritorial cichlids from africa.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
i want a fish that is mean.and attack ur hand.my pirhanas dont do that.there dumb.I want to see them fight for food.i put 3 fish in two weeks ago.and there is still 2 fish.......should i stave them for a week,than drop one fish in.and see if they go nuts???

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
If you want somthing that will bite you get tiger barbs.......I know there small,but let me tell you when I was keeping them a few years back I was bitten 3 times,twice the wound got infected!!!!!! :eek:

The pardise fish I have now also nips at me.I dont know why my fish hate me so much :( My house mates say its because Im so much of an as*hole,and its not only the fish that hate me,all living thing's do. They might be right,do you think it possible that fish do just hate some people on site................Oh I think I feel a new thread coming.............

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's ridiculous to think that a single oscar or single piranha can live long term in a 29, let alone all 3.
If you want big aggressive fish you need a big tank (and I don't mean a 55). Tough but true, despite how poor you may or may not be.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
even if the oscar os onnly the sizeof a loonie?im done school in september.we can upgrade to a bigger tank,but if would have to be used for me to afford it

dethjam316

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
brit, the point is that an oscar won't stay small. ;)

as has been said here already, i would say a 29g isn't good for any large predatory fish. a 55g could work for maybe a single oscar--and not much else. with 2 pirhanas, your 29g is full way more than its capacity can carry. i know a couple fish doesn't seem like much...but those puppies put out a lot of waste and grow mighty big.