Planning my first tank and in need of experienced help

Jerica

New Fish
Jul 29, 2013
Hi everyone! I am a complete aquarium virgin but I really want a tank. I love cichlids and would eventually like to get a tank with firemouths and assorted rainbow fish with a small school of corys. Are those fish even compatible? According to the research I have done they could be but I was wondering if anyone has done it. However, I am thinking due to the expensive nature and size of the tank needed (not to mention the fish themselves) I should start with something smaller to gain some experience. Does anyone have suggestions about a few colorful community species I could start with? I am thinking a 20-30 gal to start. Any concerns or advice will be welcomed. Like I said I havn't bought anything yet. I'm a compulsive researcher lol. It took me months to decide on a cichlid species that wasn't too big or agressive for my EVENTUAL tank. I plan to get things rolling in the next few months and am in desperate need of a plan for my starter tank.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Welcome!

I don't know much about cichlids. The only fish I currently have in the cichlid family is a koi angle fish. He/she is like a puppy dog, in that he wags his whole body any time someone walks into the room- wanting to eat.

My last go with cichlids was 25yrs ago when I had ~6 "misc. african cichlids" in a 20g long. Didn't work out too well in the long run because I knew nothing of water parameter testing and regular water changes at the time.

I'd think you'd be limited in what you could put in a 20-30 in that realm, aside from shell-dwellers (super cool IMO). I'm not sure which would be compatible with corydoras.

FWIW, a 20g long is an ideal starter tank if you're brand-new to tankaholism. 29's are great too IMO. Same footprint as the 20, but 9g taller, LOL.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
depends on the cichlid. there are south american cichlids like discus, angels, and oscars on the large size, then there are rams and apistogrammas on the small side for examples. if your wanting something like african cichlids then options are limited due to agression. haps and peacocks tend to be the more gentle kinds. thats if you are wanting to do rainbows with them.

I would suggest going with the largest tank you can afford and have room for personally. the reason i say that is if you do happen to get fish that don't go well together on accident then they have room to get away. also if there is a water issue in a small tank the issue is drastic and sudden. in a larger tank it seems as though you have more time to catch and correct the problem before it leads to deaths.

As for a colorful community tank there are MANY fish to go with. I would say neons, apistogrammas, rainbows, endlers, guppies (if you don't mind the constant breeding), Rams, then the less colorful but interesting are things like hillstream loaches, panda garras, dojo and kuhli loaches, banjo catfish, cory cats, knife fish. those are a few suggestions off the top of my head.

for africans again alot of choices such as flametails, acei, yellow labs, mainganos, johani, dolphins, brichardi, assorted peacocks like the electric blue red shoulders i bred for a while. those are all fish that i have had at the same time and had good experiences with. with the brichardi they can take over a tank if they are able to breed succesfully. they can have 50+ babies in a batch and each generation with help protect subsiquent generations. the reading i've done on them says they have been found in the wild of schools of 1000+ fish.

African cichlids is a huge family. I didn't even get into a chip of the icberg thats the size of antarctica that is the african cichlid family. africans come from 3 of the great rift lakes in africa and just in lake malawi there are over 6000 species ranging form an inch long to several feet long. it can be overwhelming. my suggestion is to research the fish you think are interesting and look on google or on this site at tanks others have made to get ideas. it never hurts to steal others ideas and modify them to make them your own :p

Also if you decide to go with a comunity tank make sure the tank gets cycled before adding any delicate or expensive fish. $1.50 don't seem like much for a fish like a neon but if you go the way i did with getting 30 of them it adds up and if you do that without the tank being cycled it's like taking the money and flushing it. Also if going with a comunity tank I suggest looking into doing a dirted tank if live plants would be something that would interest you. it adds to the cost of the lighting but besides that it's very low cost.

I hope i gave information that is useful but not overwhelming :)

Jerica

New Fish
Jul 29, 2013
Thanks so much for the help freshy and exhumed :). I lovenew world cichlids but I don't think I am quite ready for that. Your questions and suggestions have inspired me to think more about what I really want first, which is a community tank. I have decided on a 55gallon with 2 fw angels 5cory and between 6&8 platy ar a similar schooling fish. I know the angels will eat livebearer fry and I am ok with that. Breeding isn't to my interest at this time. However if you have any suggestions on other schooling fish that wouldn't become snacks for the angels (like neons) or nip at their fins (like barbs) I would love to hear them.
On another note, is a 55 gallon big enough for that amount of fish? I know I need height for the angels, footprint for the cory and length for schoolers. I also intend to build my own stand so if you know of any websites with plans or advice about it that would be wonderful!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
that many fish is fine. look at my stocking in my signature lol. as for the plans for a stand a simple 2X4 frame with a half inch plywood top will support the weight. then you can clad it in whatever kinda wood you would want and stain in and varnish it to give it color and protection. My planted 55 is sitting on a store bought stand that is made from MDF. that pressed glued saw dust stuff. my 55 cichlid tank is on an old console stereo from the 70's or 80's. still has a working 8 track player and turn table in it lol. worst part is i can't seem to find my old alice cooper, schools out record. I belive it is still in the stereo lol.