Plant Only Aquarium Has Orange Water?

SA9

New Fish
Apr 18, 2012
About My Tank:

I have an unusual case. I was hoping to set up a 55 gal aquarium and start cycling it but it has been delayed temporarily. However, I had already ordered a variety of plants and when they came in the mail I decided to do a temporary holding tank for them in a 25 gal. I dirted the tank with Organic Miracle Gro, as suggested by many people online. I also added some river rock that I purchased from Home Depot after I washed them thoroughly. I had two varieties of moss so I boiled a rock taken from a local creek and tied them on to it with a bit of thread. I have a 20-40 gal filter running as well an air stone. I also have a heater in there to keep it at about 75 degrees. I also have a light fixture on top with a 15 watt "sunshine" bulb from GE on the tank. The tank has no fish in it at this time.

The Problem:

My water keeps turning a saturated orange color. It is not cloudy or opaque .. it just keeps turning orange. I will do large water changes and it's pretty normal looking for about two days and then it starts slowly turning orange again. I've changed the water out twice and I don't know what to do. Also, my plants seem to be declining in health. Some are better than others, but some have now completely lost the green colors in their leaves or their leaves altogether. I'd really like to fix this problem and try to save my plants as they were somewhat costly.

Thank you for your advice and time!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; The rocks seem likely to be the easier to remove. If the water continues to go orange it seems likely that the organic miracle grow is the next to be replaced. I have not used miracle grow products in an aquarium so cannot comment from direct experience.

Feb 27, 2009
So that the soil does not color your water (and raise the organic and inorganic content of your water), it should be COMPLETELY capped with at least 1 inch of gravel or sand. Otherwise, the minerals will dissolve (and discolor) the water as you are experiencing.

I would suggest reading about the "El Natural Method" if you plant to use soil in an aquarium. What is "el Natural?" A Step by Step? - El Natural - Aquatic Plant Central

Organic potting soil can raise the ammonia in the tank temporarily, but the plants will quickly use it. I would turn off the air stone, as this will only offgas your dissolved CO2. If you have a waterfall type of filter, keep the water level high so that splashing is kept to a minimum.

Plants need light, and you are providing low-light with a 15watt bulb. With the water turning color, you are basicly shading the entire plant, so they will be unable to survive long-term.

I would suggest you pull out all plants, remove most of the water, and then cap the soil with at least 1" of gravel or sand so that its not dirctly exposed to the water column. Then replant the plants properly (making sure no rhizomes are in the gravel, but instead attached to rocks or other deco). Then slowly refill the water. It make take a few more large water changes to completely remove the dissolved minerals.

Last edited: