Planted tanks and vacuuming gravel?

hazee

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How do you guys get the gravel clean in your planted tanks. I don't have a huge number of plants at the moment but i would like alot more in the future. I'm having to practically replant all my plants every time i do a water change as it is... what do you do with a totally planted tank?

bigfoot150

Superstar Fish
Dec 17, 2003
Alameda, Ca
Visit site
Well if you are planning on getting alot more plants then I wouldn't vacuum the gravel at all. Vacuuming obviously removes all the extra poo and fish food that normally causes nitrate spikes and such. Well plants actually use nitrate so there is no need to vacuum the gravel. However, I do still suggest that you remove any ditrus aka dead plant material as that just makes for a dirty tank.

I would vacuum any open areas until you do really get any plants in there and eventually it will just get dirtier again. In my tank everytime i do a water change almost all my plants are pulled up but not to vacuum the gravel but to clip the plants. I have never vacuumed the gravel in my tank since the first month, but i do keep my filter as clean as possible, in a heavily planted tank plants provide enough surface area for bacteria to grow on so cleaning the pad a lot doesn't really matter.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I rarely vacuumed my tank with gravel and the plants always did fantastic. Then I changed to sand and was keeping it pristine clean and the plants started dying. I've started tilling the sand instead and the plants are growing again and I'm happy cuz the sand looks nice and clean :D

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Yes, I use a very small gravel cleaner and just surface clean the gravel and plants. You don't dig around to uproot the plants. I do this during water changes, then when I am done vacuuming, I use a larger diameter hose to remove water faster.

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
I just vacuum anything I can and leave the rest alone. The benefit of having plants is that you don't have to do as much maintenence to your tank. I take that back, because I do spend more time now trimming, arranging, and clearing dead leaves.

Exevious

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2003
North Dallas, Texas
Visit site
Cutlass said:
I just vacuum anything I can and leave the rest alone. The benefit of having plants is that you don't have to do as much maintenence to your tank. I take that back, because I do spend more time now trimming, arranging, and clearing dead leaves.
the benifit of having plants is that they help to keep your nitrates in check...
Nothing will ever get you out of maintaining your aquarium....