Plants, and Test Results

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
Since this is the first time I'm using live plants in my tank, I wasn't sure if I would really get these results this quick. Just only 3-4 days ago, I put in 3 plants with Flourite gravel into my 10 gallon. Out of curiosity, I decided I wanted to test it today just to see what they would read, and this is what I got.

Ph. 7.3
Ammonia. .25mg/l
Nitrite. <.3mg/l
Nitrate. 5mg/l

Is it normal to get readings like this in just a few days when using live plants?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Did you just start the tank? It appears that your tank is cycling. Don't worry though. Your plants will help you with the cycle. Test again after a week. Be sure your lighting is adequate. Water changes at least once per week! If you have made a firm decision to try a planted tank, do your homework. Use the search function to check out the many posts in the Planted tank forum about whatever it is you want to know. They are very easy to find. If you need some clarification (it gets deep!), let us know. We'll get you on the right track!

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
Yeah, I actually just started the tank a few days ago, but I didn't think I would get those readings. I thought for sure those values would have been a lot higher then they came out. I had planned on getting some more plants for it this week, but I think I'll hold off until next week, after doing a water change, and see where the tank is then. Right now, I have Moneywort, and Dwarf Hairgrass in there. Anything else recommended that will help in the cycling, but also look good when time to really aquascape the tank?