plants for a betta vase

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
my roommates mother is a 1st grade teacher and she has a betta in a vase, but wants a plant as well. im not really sure as to what she could put in there aside from maybe some java moss, but any suggestions would be appreciated- thanks.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Does she want it to go inside the vase for the fish to swim around in or to sit on top of the water so just the roots are in the water?

I've got a banana plant in with my betta and my sister has an ivy growing out the top of hers.

ttmnky

Large Fish
Jan 16, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
As with always, just make sure that the plant isn't taking up all the surface area.
I guess you could have some taller plants planted int the vase and have the tips of the leaves poke out, with a small piece of driftwood poking out, resting horizontally in the vase...

sorta going for an artistic feel/look here...

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
you can work it out so both the plant and fish are healthy. Changing and conditioning the water very frequently, making sure there is the most water surface to air contact as possible, feeding the betta betta food, ideally being on top of testing the water. American breeders use on gallon containers, so it seems to suggest to me this is an appropriate size, though the bigger the better.

You don't want a plant that is going to block the top off from air, since they breath it from the surface. dangling ivy or rhodedendron off the edge would be cool. cut back the roots if they get too much. The lilly tends to cut off the air supply...or at least cuts it off more than other options. and the roots go balistic.

banana plants are great, but I have mine in a 30 gallon and their stems are up to a foot/ foot and a half long. I think they also like substrate to root in. my betta loves to perch in a wisteria plant (also low light requirements, like the banana), but again, make sure there is substrate.

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Well, in another thread (Chazwick's betta thread about vase size and bettas), Lordroad has a very interesting one. He uses Anachris, which is a very hardy plant, that grows well in low light (trust me, they grow like weeds with lighting!!). Hope this helps!

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
thanks for the replies guys. the biggest problem is that it isn't like i am going to be taking care of the fish or vase or plants, but somebody who doesn't know anything will be. just need to figure out the easiest way to explain everything and find a plant that is easy to find/take care of for a person with no real experience.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
well..

Maybe the teacher is better off in putting the Betta in a little aquarium if the person caring for the fish does not know what to do, it might be better to seperate the plant and fish. This way he can take care of the fish better and not have to worry about the fish getting or air or the plant dying. I don't like the idea as fish as decor and the betta should be really treated like a pet ;)