Plants for bettas?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Whatever you use, make sure it's soft. Sharp edges on a lot of plastic plants can rip a betta's fins. Silk plants are usually better, if you don't want to go for live plants.

Betta's like to rest on soft leaves, so something that looks like it would make a good "betta bed" will probably make your betta happy. Male bettas also tend to like floating plants to help them make their bubble nest, especially if you have a little too much water movement at the surface.

If you want to get live plants, your betta will probably thank you for it. :)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
My bettas seem to like both live & real... as long as its tall enough to sit on and rest ;)

Javafern & Javamoss are easy to care for and low-light. I tie the javamoss to rocks and driftwood, it makes for a nice natural looking effect.

AquaticGem

Medium Fish
May 20, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
www.bettatudes.com
I use a combination of real and silk plants in my betta tanks. Javamoss and Javafern, as suggested by Iggy, are great and easy real plants to keep, along with Anubias, Anacharis, Sword Plant, and Water Sprites. You can find out more info on these, and other plants at plantgeek.com

Also, I have found that my bettas adore the silk Tiger Lotus plant I have in their tanks. They can often be found napping on, or hiding in it. :)

kikuchiyo

Large Fish
Apr 28, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Mine enjoyed sleeping on the the ground or on his heater (since the move to bigger digs, I don't think he's picked a real place yet) but during the day and afternoon he would often nap on the broad leafed silk plants.