plants for newbies

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
what kind of plants do you recommend that i can just throw in my tank and not worry about, id like to have something that floats. that would almost occupy the top of the tank. i had some anachoris <sp?> they started out on the gravel but the fish kept pulling them up, they were all slowly dieing anyway, the fish were steadily eating them even if they did want to grow. anyone have any recommendations? ive looked thru the online stores for plants and most say medium care, i want something very easy care. if im dreaming ill just go for some fake plants.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Anacharis is a good beginner plant. I have it both weighted down and also free-floating in a few of my tanks. It's a nice, cheap, edible plant a lot of fish enjoy nibbling on. My Mollies go nuts for it, so I occasionally drop some clippings from other tanks in with them. It is in all of my goldfish tanks and also in with my Endlers and dwarf platies. I rarely have to buy it any more because it grows so well in basic, stock lighting. Try plant weights, they ~help~ but you have some plant lovers there. ;)

Other things for a newbie to try (all of which are great with fry, too, so your livebearers would have other uses for it besides just trying to eat it): water sprite, java moss, java fern, water lettuce (floating plant, just don't have it too close to the cover since the condensation can be bad for it). You may also want to try vallisneria and amazon sword.

If you ~really~ want a plant you can't get rid of, try duckweed. LOL. ;) I grow it (well, put it in water) in my 40 gallon pop-up pond and pop it in with my goldfish a couple times a week and they LOVE it! If I didn't have fish which ate duckweed, I wouldn't allow it near my tanks tho -- talk about nuisance plants! It's easy to contain -- you just net out what you don't want but it does keep coming back.

In the end, it all comes down to experimenting. Do you have a local aquarium society? That's a great place to get clippings to try out. You might want to post for clippings/plants on craigslist in your area to see if a local aquarist might be able to provide you with some of their excess. Your local water parameters can also affect how a plant does in your tank.

Fake plants have their place -- I use them in a couple of my tanks for various reasons (i.e., a brackish tank which does still have some acclimated java fern in it but is otherwise plastic. The mollies were pretty tough on most plants I tried before all that salt was added anyways)

Good luck! :)

schneirw

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Lancaster, Pa
www.the-schneiders.net
I would agree with the Swords and Anubias .. I have always had success with them. Riccia and Fanwort always ended up a dire mess, so I would try to avoid them at first. :)

One thing I would check is your lighting/wattage. Verify what type of plants you can support (high / moderate / low light) before you start buying. Otherwise, you'll end up possibly killing them ... like I am currently. Wasted $60+ on plants and now I have to removed most of it and start again with low light plants. :(

Good luck!!

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
its definetly low lighting, i never realized how dark it was till i got the 55 and got it lit up. i had some anachoris that started out buried in the gravel, and the fish ate most of it, any of that tries to grow back, they eat that too. i dont think we have any aquarium societies around here, we only have 1 or 2 mom n pop pet stores in the area, small town usa here. and in the area means 30-45 minute ride. i cant even get the pet store guy to order me a tiretrack eel.