Plants for the green thumb challenged

CA_Peg

Small Fish
Sep 25, 2006
I was wondering if it was possible to float some plants in my tank for the purpose of helping out my water conditions (my cycle is not quite completed and I was hoping to help it along). I'm a plastic plant tank person and would like to keep it that way, but thought I had read somewhere that plants could float on top. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

CA_Peg

Small Fish
Sep 25, 2006
wilsonriverfish said:
Hornwort is a rootless plant that is just perfect for floating there is some others to use as well but hornwort is for low light, its quick Growing, its rootless and floats around the tank.
I don't think I have low light, I have a 10g with 2 25 watt bulbs - I thought that might be too high...is that like 5 wpg?

To be honest, I don't even know how many watts is in the 29g. Whatever light came with the hood. Would I burn this plant up?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
There are plenty of plants to choose from: anacharis, water sprite, even duckweed work well as floating nitrate factories. The only problem with duckweed is it is tough to eradicate if you miss even one floret -- it makes guppies and convicts look like sissies with the rate it reproduces given a chance. (my goldfish make short work of it tho -- YUM!)

CA_Peg

Small Fish
Sep 25, 2006
So off I go to Petsmart tonight and low and behold they don't have any of the plants suggested! *^%! On top of that, the employee who helped me was not very nice, my kids were pointing out some dead angel fish in the big tank they have there and she was pretty rude to them too. So....I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get the wonder plants for my tanks - there are a couple of other stores a bit farther but may have better selection. Also, I really don't want snails - is it a huge possibility that snails will come with my plants???

mattistat

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2006
Sothern California
what i did to get rid of snails is put the plants in a bucket half full of water andlet them sit in there for 2 or 3 days and find allthe bugs and stuff then killl them. ive even herd of putting the plants in a bucket of water with some bleach or a bucket of pool water to get ridof all the bad stuff. you can also avoid the tanks with snails.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, you'll need to change them to screw-in compact fluorescent lights if you want to grow plants. Actually, even if you don't want to get plants, the fish will look a lot better with fluorescent lights.

The lights most-often recommended are the ones in the Wal-Mart fish section. They're just under $5 each, and work well for plants. They're pretty much the only reason you'll see me in a Wal-Mart :p

CA_Peg

Small Fish
Sep 25, 2006
Lotus said:
Yes, you'll need to change them to screw-in compact fluorescent lights if you want to grow plants. Actually, even if you don't want to get plants, the fish will look a lot better with fluorescent lights.

The lights most-often recommended are the ones in the Wal-Mart fish section. They're just under $5 each, and work well for plants. They're pretty much the only reason you'll see me in a Wal-Mart :p
These will fit in my hood? What wattage do I get? I really want to get somekind of plant to help my water - but going to Walmart - hummm might have to draw the line there. LOL. Thanks.

zoo minsi

Large Fish
Jan 8, 2005
michigan
Visit site
CA_Peg said:
These will fit in my hood? What wattage do I get? I really want to get somekind of plant to help my water - but going to Walmart - hummm might have to draw the line there. LOL. Thanks.

the lights there talking about are 10 watts each and they work pretty well, ive seen them at petsmart and a few other chains before, you just have to be looking for them. I know ive walked right past them several times. heres a pic of what they look like, and watch what you buy they make these for saltwater too. you want all glask 6500K or there abouts.

CA_Peg

Small Fish
Sep 25, 2006
Was it obvious that I needed a picture - I'm such the visual learner! Heading out today! Hopefully I'll be successful and get both the plants and lights!

Peggy