plastic tank

Expresso

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2005
Chateauguay, qc
plastic tank pics included (56k warning)

Hi
I just got a 2.6gal plastic tank for my betta, My question is can I use a heater with a plastic tank? And if I can which one would you recommend. And since the tank is so small maybe a light would be good enough to heat it, since they sell lights made specifically for these tanks. Thanks

ps, here are some pic of the little guy

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
EH...generally you can't find a heater small enough for that size tank. They sell little warmers for tanks like that...they're like a heating pad that you put underneath the tank, instead of the heater that actually goes inside the tank.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
I keep a Betta in a 14 ltr plastic tank (with filter and light) and I have a heater in it with no probs. However I dont know how small they sell them over there in the US mine is about 6 inches, 50 wt. Also thats one of the prettiest bettas I ever seen.

YES!! You CAN use a heater in a plastic tank...and I do and have used them in tanks as small as 1 gallon. I use the Hagen 25w submersible heater. (Petco/smart usally has them in stock) I have 6, and I LOVE them. Yes, they can take 24-48 hours to get set to the right temp, and you have to watch them closley in that time, but once you find the right setting for the size tank you have, they'll hold that temp forever.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
just be very careful with that Jr.heater...if you accidentally take it out of the water w/o unplugging it, it turns off automatically and permanently.

sugarloves

Medium Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
What a lucky guy with that large tank all to himself! My boys would be green with envy. Careful with the filter though, i find they give out quite a strong current and bettas dont like much current. Keep an eye on his lovely tail.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
very nice. I use a 50 watt submersible heater in my 2.5. If you get something with automatic shut off, you will be just fine. be carefl choosing a heater though, if there's one thing in your tank you do NOT want to do on the cheap it's your heater.

Expresso

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2005
Chateauguay, qc
thanks for the quick answers, and don't worry, the filter isn't strong at all. I have it set on the lowest setting and he swims right under the intake with his head touching it sometimes and he doesn't get stuck .

I've had horrible luck with those Jr heaters from wally. They don't last but 6 months...maybe. They have no indicator light, and no thermostat...so if the air temp gets hot, your tank will get REALLY hot. I tried using those Jr heaters for about 4 months and gave up after being faced with replacing most of them in that short timespan...spent the little extra money for a 25w hagen and am now going on a year without having to replace any.