Platies and Breeding

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Does anyone about platies and how they breed?

I have 2 reg mickey mouse platies (1m and 1f), 3 sunset platies (1m and 2f) and 1 sunburst mickey mouse platy (female). I think I witnessed them breeding the other night, but I am not sure. I like to now how soon I could be sure if it was what I think it was and if it was successful. I kind of have an idea on how to tell if I have a pregnant female, but like I said I'd like to know how soon I should expect to know if they are in that way. It's a weird question I know, but if anyone can provide any information or websites on this subject I would greatly appreaciate it. :)

Last edited:

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Thanks for the help you guys are providing it's helping a lot.

I guess it might be good to describe what I've seen. My males will kind of do their best to impress the females by bumping the other male for a bit. Then the main male will chase the females around and stretch out with his gonopodium and touch one of the females a few times. I assumed this was breeding behavior and I am a little excited, I've wanted to have babies for a while and now I hope things will go well for the females if they do become gravid.

Anyway thanks again. Keep it coming.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Would this globe tank be suitable for fry? It is a 2.5 gallon

The tube in the middle provides air and the bump is the light which would also provide heat.

Here are what two of my females look like right now (all photos are of the same two platties),
Mickey Mouse

Sunset

What do you think? Future looking good for babies or to soon to tell?
Thanks, you guys are really helpful.*SUPERSMIL

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
She looks pregnant, but it looks like you have a few weeks more to wait before she gives birth. The globe looks OK for fry, but I'd probably change the undergravel filter for a sponge or internal filter. Those tiny UGFs don't seem to work very well, IMO.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I don't think the globe has a filteror and UGF at that, but I did pick up a breeder the other day. So I might just use that instead. Boy, I'm excited. Thank you again.