Platies + extra ammonia production

DarkMuse

Medium Fish
May 12, 2005
Kentucky
Ok I went to buy some platies so that my rams have company. Well, the lady at the lfs (fish manager...who's supposed to know about all the fish...) told me that they produced more ammonia than the "normal" fish. Ok I have NEVER read this anywhere so tell me if this is true or not. I told her that I keep my tank clean religiously and do daily water tests. She gave me this "yeah ok" look. Then proceeded to tell me how to clean my tank. "You need to do at least 20% water changes..." I was like yeah I know how to clean my tank. I do at least 30% water changes when I gravel vac. Its like excuse me for knowing what the hell i'm doing. I must say, I got quite annoyed with her. I hate being treated like I'm stupid.

Oh well, I am done ranting now. So if anyone knows if this is true please let me know.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Platies produce just as much waste as any other livebearer...they're messier than some fish like zebra danios...and less messy than Goldfish. I HATE it when lfs employees get that attitude...you'd think they dont actually want to sell you what you came to buy. So there's two types of lfs employee...those who know nothing, and those who think they know everything. All you gotta do is KNOW that you're right, tell them what you know, and if all else fails let them know that you're the customer, you're there to buy fish and if they wont let you, then you ask for their manager.

When I went to buy the fish for my 46, the guy had an attitude with me, so I had an attitude with him back. He said if he sold me all of the fish I wanted he couldn't give me a guarantee on the fish, I said THATS OK THEYR'E NOT GONNA DIE because I know how to take care of them and the tank is ready for them. He finally stopped being an ***, so I did too. He explained that he's required to tell me those things by his boss, and I said I respected that...but that I have 8 fishtanks at home, I know my stuff, and my tank is ready. He finished bagging them...and then just out of defiance I went back in there a couple weeks afterwards and he recognized me. I said, hey so all those fish are wonderful. He said something to the effect of "yeah I trusted you, I knew they'd be fine" I was like...yea uh huh whatever. lol

Whatever it counts for...I think putting more than one or two platies in your tank would be overstocking it. Since its best to keep livebearers with a 2F to 1M ratio...I'd suggest two males or two females...or they'll over populate that tank in a jiffy because they're prolific breeders.

I've never kept rams before...but have you thought about maybe putting a dwarf gourami in that tank? I'm not sure how one would get along with the rams, but it'd be worth checking out.

anyway...that was my 5 cents (more than 2 cents sorry haha)

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, the person at the store is making it up, or going on bad advice from someone else. Sometimes people will say the strangest things, and have no evidence to back it up.

I think you should be OK with some platies in there, but you will need to do water changes to keep the nitrates very low for the rams.