Platies NOT breeding!..yes...NOT breeding..

ice

Small Fish
Nov 27, 2005
ive had my platys + beta for about a month now and im quite astonished that i dont see any signs of fry. haha i know most people complain about the abundance of livebearer fry, and i do too, but i had kindof wanted to see them...ive got 2 males and 3 females and my male beta in 10Gs. I had thought i would have some all ready or have at least a preggy female..but i dont think so. Ive been looking for gravid spots and see none! the females look the same in width and size and stuff. How long is gestation?

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
ice said:
ive had my platys + beta for about a month now and im quite astonished that i dont see any signs of fry. haha i know most people complain about the abundance of livebearer fry, and i do too, but i had kindof wanted to see them...ive got 2 males and 3 females and my male beta in 10Gs. I had thought i would have some all ready or have at least a preggy female..but i dont think so. Ive been looking for gravid spots and see none! the females look the same in width and size and stuff. How long is gestation?
i can send you fourteen of the buggers... *BOUNCINGS

[i wonder if that's possible ... :eek: ... ]

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
ROTFL, cyber! :)

Are you sure there are both sexes? (yeah, dumb question but....)

If none of them were preggers before you bought them (not very likely) you may not see any fry for another month or so. I don't find platies are as obvious as far as a gravid spot is concerned, depending on their color.

What most likely happened is your betta (and the platies themselves) are enjoying the Pez dispensers you so generously provided. ;) Is there much in the way of plant cover and hiding places for the fry? Try throwing in some leafy plants, the more the merrier as long as everyone can still swim around. Then you may see fry.....

ice

Small Fish
Nov 27, 2005
aww im missin the Pez joke- whats that?

Yep i definitely got 2 males and 3 females..i checked the anal fins when i bought em. I have 6 plants in the 10G- cant fit any more. Im just surprised, that's all. Yes, ive been checking for gravid spots but dont see any. 2 females are dark orange and the other is yellow body black tail. Difficult to see on both. Thanks for the help though.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You won't generally see gravid spots on platies, due to their coloring. Have you noticed the females getting fatter? What size were they when you bought them?

I generally found platies to take a long time to start to breed. Our first ones we had took something like 3 months to give birth, although they were pregnant when we got them. A little patience will probably reward you :)