platy attacked

mishababy

Small Fish
Apr 25, 2005
arkansas
my female platy was recently attacked by my male guppy, he has been harrassing her for quite some time. 2 days ago i saw him nipping at her. yesterday morning i awoke and her eye was completely pecked out covered with white fungus. what should i do??

you can either get like 3 or 4 female guppies so the males have something to do instead of harrasing the platy or just remove the guppy. You aren't really overstocked on your 10g, your like right on the line though so proabbly getting more guppies won't be the best idea. You can always get one of those breeding baskets to seperate the male guppy until you find a new home or another solution to the problem. As for the fungus on the eye.... hmmm.. i think the eye is as good as dead and this could probably cause the fish to die so if you really dont want to risk your other fish then remove the female platy then you can keep the males and not risk a sickness outbreak (not from the fungus on eye but from the stress of the fish losing an eye can cause sicknesses)

May 12, 2005
I had the same problem with my female guppy...she lost her eye and started to loss all the tissue around the eye. Sadly I had to put her down today, I felt it was the best thing for her. It was very sad to see her go but there isn't much you can do.

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
i think putting him down may be the best option if the eye is compleatly gon as fish feel pain.

you can put them down by puttting them in a cup with some aquariam water and poping the cup in the freezer for 10 mins, its the kindest way to do it as thay just fall asleep. i dont know what other ppl think?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
If I put a fish down I use Clove Oil.Dissolve it in Vodka or any clear spirit and then add a little to the vessel you have put your fish in after catching it.It has anaesthetic properties so your fish don't feel any pain.They just slowly stop breathing and pass away.

A word of caution.DO NOT use something you are going to later use for your tank to euthanase your fish in.Use an old margarine tub or something disposable.

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
Admittedly both fish were bought with only one eye so I don't know the circumstances, But I have a long finned Zebra Danio, and a golden Barb, Both with only the one eye, Both appear very happy and play with their friends all the time. A good general tonic may help if there is no infection. But as it is already there I would try a proprietory cure and hope for the best.