Platy Chased & Stressed...

cassie2

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2005
Ontario
Hi all,

I really enjoy reading this board - learning a lot!!

We started a 10 gallon tank for our daughter a couple of months ago - got 3 platies, added a 4th, needless to say complete destruction ensued. (one guy at Big Al's said we could add fish, 5 year old dd got excited, manager said no fish - dd cried - we listened to dd instead of the fish guy and we ended up adding too many fish too fast, ick, ammonia spike, ph spike, no cycling.....)

Waited 2 weeks, read a lot on the net, tank cycled - added live plants, chemicals fine, some salt added - added 3 platies (2 female, 1 male) - all well, 2 weeks later added 2 more platies (both females) - a month later - Baby platies - 2 weeks later more baby platies. (lots of cannibalism, caught 7 of first batch - 6 still alive, and 4 of second batch) We have the babies in a separate small 2 gallon acrylic tank with mini filter (carbon & fluff only, no bio filter) & 7.5 watt heater which I've put on a timer & bubbler, all is fine. No chemical problems in either tank. Weekly to week and a half vacumming and water changes in big tank. Every 2-3 days water changes in the acrylic mini tank. Lots of snails in both tanks. Big tank has some brown and green algae on the fake plants, but glass seems ok - no big buildup on glass.

Fish seem to behave ok - come to front of tank to see us when we come and watch them. All eat well. We feed usually only in the morning - whatever they can eat fast - within a half minute or minute, sometimes a small evening snack but thats it. The eat standard flaked food, or spirulina flakes, or occasionaly dried blood worms. One of the original females often likes to hide in the back under and behind the plants - call her Goldie. She seems to have decided that this area - well planted with wisteria - is her territory and she spends a lot of time in the forested area.

Problem: For the past few weeks, Goldie (female) and the male are both chasing the other original female - call her Red. Really chasing her. They zip around the tank super fast, Red's top fin is slightly ragged - not sure if its from ducking around stuff or if she is being nipped - may be a bit of both. Goldie sometimes chases one of the other 2 females and the last female is never chased. Goldie chases the other fish out of the forested area and as well all over the tank - nipping too. Male nips at Red too.

Red was for sure the mommy of the second batch of fry. We have no clue who mommy of first batch was. Red often sits with fins flat down. She comes around stuff warily looking for the other fish and backs up if she sees them. She will often try to hide somewhere where the others are, but often Goldie will follow her to chase and nip at her. Red now spends a good part of her day hiding in our pirate shipwreck ornament, way down in the base in the dark. She sleeps there too. Eats well. Comes out to see me normally when I peek at her in the ship - I peek for awhile and she eventually notices me and comes out. Comes out to eat, but otherwise hides. She otherwise seems to be ok - no ick, no other obvious symptoms.

Any ideas on how to reduce the chasing and stress?

Is is possible we are underfeeding?

Would a bigger tank help or would they just chase her around a bigger space? We are considering a 12" x 30", I think its 29 gallon, Marineland Eclipse for Christmas present for dd, as that is pretty much the biggest we have space for - and if we keep having babies we are totally out of room in the 10 gallon now!!! (5 adults, 10 babies....)

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any advice. *BOUNCINGS

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Rule of thumb is to add 3 female to every male to reduce stress due to what I call "mating rituals".

If my math is correct you have 9 platies in a 10 gal tank. I don't believe this is over crowded.

Make sure that that females and males you bought are actually what store said are.

Another way to reduce to stree is to provide various hiding places.

You also check your NO3 and NH3 level to make sure that you don't have a case of fin rot in your hand.

Rohn

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
i dunno how many he has in the 10 gallon, i tried to do the math, it reminded me of the middle school word math problems. but i think he has 5 females in the 10 gallon, 4 female, 1 male. and the rest are fry in the fry tank. i dont know if you should worry about him harrassing her or not, just watch to see if there are any injuries, maybe its harmless playing. lol let me know if i was right on the math problem.

cassie2

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2005
Ontario
Sorry for the confusion - its all perfectly clear to me while I stare at the tanks!!! :rolleyes:

I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 females and one male. I am sure of the sex. The male is very much a chaser and nipper.
One of the females is also very aggressive, chasing and nipping.

Both in particular chase this one female which is my concern. She is stressed and has some frayed fins. Last night I noticed her tailfin is split in a couple of places too.

My 2 gallon tank has 10 fry - 6 are about a month old, 4 are 2 weeks old.

I've now read the chemical short forms for the test strips....
I have the Jungle test strips for Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, Hardness, Alkalinity, and the other strip for Ammonia. Everything seems ok at last check, and at every check (weekly).

Today: NO3 Nitrate is at 20 , NO2 Nitrite at 0, Hardness is 150 hard, Alkalinity is 80 Moderate, PH is 7.2 neutral. Ammonia NH3 at 0.

At last cleaning the gravel vacuuming showed that the gravel was pretty dirty - lots of disintegrated sediment down there. I tried to do a "big" vacuuming. Chemicals were ok. I have to clean again today. (its been about a week)

Was at Big Al's last night for shark tank feeding and picked up some frozen brine shrimp to supplement their diet. My favorite fish guy was not in, so I haven't asked him about any of this yet.

At this time I do not want to buy another fish, as I have 10 fry waiting to grow and be put into the 10 gallon tank, making 15 platies in a 10 gallon tank. But I figure that by the time they grow up (6 months?) we'll have got a bigger tank.

Thanks for your comments & help!

Cheryl

Last edited:

cassie2

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2005
Ontario
Ok, so now I've inserted a tank divider into my 10 gallon tank, making two small rooms. I know this is not ideal, but perhaps if I can give the chased fish ("Red") some peace and quiet, it'll help her regain her strenght.

I put the female that chases and the male on one side, and the other 3 females on the other side. Pretty much immediately Red's fins came up, and she started to swim around some. Every time she saw the male on the other side of the divider she got a bit skittish and the fins went down, but she seemed to get a bit better. Left her alone for a couple of hours, and when I checked just now, Red is resting just under the pirate ship ornament, instead of in it, and her fins are half up. I guess thats an improvement!!!

Any thoughts on how long I should leave the divider in to let her rest?
How long is too long for the rest of the fish's health?

Will it be a problem putting one male and one female together - the female is pretty spunky and aggressive, so I'll watch her to see what their behavior is, and hopefully he won't stress her out too much now......

Thanks!!

Cheryl