Platy Friends

littlejack

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2007
Hi. I have started my tank with 4 platys. next week i hope to introduce new fish. What type of fish are best suited to platys? i am looking for small colourful hardy fish?

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
I just read your previous post and it seems your tank is still cycling. I'd wait a few more weeks before adding any new fish so they will be more likely to survive.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I agree, keep up on water changes and either get a test kit or have the store check your water. Don't add any fish until you have zero nitrites and ammonia.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
well...youll be overun with platies soon enough so how about a something to eat those fry in a "natural" selection way. you could get an anglefish...just one though...i wouldnt push two. that way you have a centerpiece. or you could get a small school of tetras

there are a lot of options out there for platy tank mates. i keep mine with kuhliis and a betta.

littlejack

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2007
Size of adult angelfish & Tetras?

Thanks Fuzz.
Are angelfish not too big?
I want small colourful fish that will get along with each other and platys.
What size do tetras and angel fish grow to?

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
The tetras should be fine. They only get about an inch long each. The angel fish can get up to 6 inches and might go after the tetras. You could get a couple dwarf gouramis, they're colorfull and mostly peaceful (mine nips the others occassionaly) and they only get 2-3 inches.