platy fry

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
one of my platys is pregnant in a 5G tank with plenty of top vegetation. i am new to fish keeping and was wondering if the fry will hang out on the top or bottom of the tank. most of the plants that i have are on or near the surface. i dont have another tank or the room for another so putting them in a separate tank isn't an option. i was wondering if they will hide in the plants on top or if i should get a few more on the bottom.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
well, when i bred guppies, at first they swam straight up to the top of the water, but then within a few hours they would wedge themselves into the gravel. so i would just make sure the tank is HEAVILY planted with real or fake plants. then all should be well. what other fish are in the tank?

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
i have 3 platys (one male, two females) and one little cory catfish thing (it's a grey silverish color) that cleans on the bottom.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Be prepared to get many more tanks with 2 females and 1 male. Before breeding, decide what exactly you're going to be doing with all of the fry you'll be getting. Your 5 gallon is already a bit overstocked as is.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The extras? Even when the fish are tiny they produce waste and will put a strain on your bio load. My suggestion, get another 5 gallon at least to use as a fry tank, even better, get a 10 gallon and put the adults in there. By keeping so many fish in one tank, you'll only be harming all fish involved.