Platy Hanging out at the top

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
All three platy (even the preggers one) is hanging out around the top, almost floating so their heads are touching the top of the water. I've not seen this before--any suggestions? The others (various tetras) seem to be fine.

Only thing different this week is a new heater, bring temp from low/mid 70's to 80.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
How is your water quality? I learned that fish hanging out at top means they may be something wrong with the water. Also did you go up that many degrees all at once? That may have shocked them a bit.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Warmer water means that there is probably less oxygen in the water...so your fish are also trying to get used to that. Do you have a HOB filter on the tank? One way to help get more oxygen in the water is to increase surface agitation through the use of a bubble wall or an airstone or lowering the water level a bit and letting the filter create more of a waterfall effect.

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
The filter is a penguin bio-wheel filter, and the water level is about 1 inch already below the level. I keep in low for the white noise effect.

I just checked and the temp is around 84, so I'm going to turn the heater down to get it to level off.