Platy hiding under the heater

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
One of my male platy has both yesterday and today put himself in the small crevice between the heater (which is horizintally at the bottom close to the gravel) and the glass. He's resting on the gravel, with his body against the glass and the heater. He moves every few seconds, but he's usually up around the top with the others.

Could he be sick? I've not seen this behavior before.

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
Temp is at 80/82 right now, it's usually in that range.

Haven't checked the levels since I have my fish store do that, but I did a water change on Friday of last week, and I need to add some water as it's evaporated over the weekend (the building heat was too high).

I don't notice anything about the fins--he's laying still with the exception of opening and closing his mouth occasionally and repositioning when the fry come down there looking for food.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I haven't ever had my livebearers do that...but some of my cichlids pick strange places to hang out and they're fine... I'd just keep an eye on him, see if he's eating or not, if there's any other visible symptoms on him (keep an eye out for white spots etc)

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
platy hide and seek...

meanjean said:
One of my male platy has both yesterday and today put himself in the small crevice between the heater (which is horizintally at the bottom close to the gravel) and the glass. He's resting on the gravel, with his body against the glass and the heater. He moves every few seconds, but he's usually up around the top with the others.

Could he be sick? I've not seen this behavior before.
hello hello...my pleco did that...25% water change sorted him out...i've only had him and the tank for a week...just learned about the 'cycle' deal...gotta buy test strips tomorrow...and check out me waterworks...you should do that too i guess...

good luck with your dude...[i assume that you are 'de-chemicaling' the water you put into your tank]...i know it's a newbie question...but a guy here in ireland had fish for 15 years...lots died...he was putting in straight tap-water...and over here it's full of chlorine...this guy just didn't think i suppose...bit of a muppet if you ask me... :(

hope all is well with your platy...tell him oscar [my pleco] says high... :)

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
now they

Well, now everyone seems to be swimming a little lower than normal--and one of my female platy is sorta laying on the bottom. Something is not right. The fish store was closed by the time I got there last night to have the water checked, but today it seems a little bit cloudy. I really need to get a test kit for here, any suggestions?

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
meanjean said:
Well, now everyone seems to be swimming a little lower than normal--and one of my female platy is sorta laying on the bottom. Something is not right. The fish store was closed by the time I got there last night to have the water checked, but today it seems a little bit cloudy. I really need to get a test kit for here, any suggestions?
i don't want to freak you out...but...
totally get a test kit...now...
in fact get an ammonia stop solution real quick...[in my humble opinion]...
i guess you'll need to reduce ammonia-nitrite levels asap...
in the uk a bottle of this stuff is five pounds...
it won't do any harm...and it will improve the water quality for sure...
get to your lfs as soon as you can...better safe than sorry...
i know i'm a total newbie...but i'm reading all about this 'cycle.' deal...
it's incredibly important...the water has to have no ammonia or nitrite...
really...get a ammonia-killer solution as soon as poss... :eek:

DarkMuse

Medium Fish
May 12, 2005
Kentucky
cybersymes said:
i don't want to freak you out...but...
totally get a test kit...now...
in fact get an ammonia stop solution real quick...[in my humble opinion]...
i guess you'll need to reduce ammonia-nitrite levels asap...
in the uk a bottle of this stuff is five pounds...
it won't do any harm...and it will improve the water quality for sure...
get to your lfs as soon as you can...better safe than sorry...
i know i'm a total newbie...but i'm reading all about this 'cycle.' deal...
it's incredibly important...the water has to have no ammonia or nitrite...
really...get a ammonia-killer solution as soon as poss... :eek:

I believe you have some misconceptions about the cycling of a tank. If your tank is cycling, you don't want to add any chemical other than ammonia into it to start the cycle (exception being Bio-Spira if you so choose a faster route). As is stated in this post.

ecotank said:
Fishless cycling is simple; add enough ammonia to the tank to increase the level to 5ppm. Keep the level of ammonia at 5ppm until the tank is capable to removing the ammonia in a 24 hour period (ammonia level reading 0). Beneficial bacteria have then been created that convert the ammonia into nitrate. Almost done now. The Nitrites are also dangerous to fish just as ammonia is, but the next step in the process is bacteria that change nitrites into nitrates. Nitrates are less harmful to the fish and are easily removed by water changes. A good test kit is essential to determining when your tank has completed the cycle. BE PATIENT, cycling a tank can often take between a month or two. Yes it's a long time, but your fish will love you for it. Bio-Spira can be used to "instantly" cycle a tank, but it is the only product known to actually work and is usually hard to find. Some people add substrate/decorations or swish filters from an established aquarium to jump start the cycling process.
I believe you need to do some more research on the topic. Read:
Iggy's Tank Cycle Recipe and Fishless Cycling - Everything You Wanted to know....

meanjean, I do agree with the statement you need to get a test kit. This way you can see if there is anything going on in the tank. That way you will know if it is chemical or disease (or maybe both).

Amanda

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you dont want to spring for the whole big test kit...just buy them seperately. The aquarium pharmaceuticals ones are always in stock at most of my stores (petsmart and the little local shops). Just be sure to pick up ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits...and you should be set.

How long has your tank been set up?

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
DarkMuse said:
I believe you have some misconceptions about the cycling of a tank. If your tank is cycling, you don't want to add any chemical other than ammonia into it to start the cycle (exception being Bio-Spira if you so choose a faster route). As is stated in this post.

I believe you need to do some more research on the topic. Read:
Iggy's Tank Cycle Recipe and Fishless Cycling - Everything You Wanted to know....

think you missed my point dude...
i was answering a post about potentially poorly fish...

i DO know how to cycle a tank...
it's true that i have never done it...but i've been researching it on the 'net for the last week...so believe me...i'm fully informed... :)

i get my tank tomorrow...and then the adventure begins... :)

p.s. ... thanks for the links...i'll check them out...you can never have too much info... :):)

Last edited:

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
A few of my mollies used to do that (when I had mollies). It was usually a sign of illness. What came next, usually, was ich. I would say do what has been suggested. Test the water, I got a test kit at my LFS for near about $10, change the water, along with cleaning the tank, and make sure the tank is at a constant temp, then just watch the fish for any signs that could tell you more about why he's doing this, if he continues. Good luck.

Nov 7, 2005
I have to second the test kit. I cycled my tank about 3 months ago and went through similar issues. What perked the fish up the most was 1/2 water changes daily if the ammonia was too high. I did that until it came down to an acceptable level. But the test kit is important so you know what you are dealing with. GL!