Platy in 7th week of pregnancy??

Aug 4, 2005
Hi. I've posted a few times in the past about my female blue platy, who has been pregnant since I got her in the first day or so of August! She has still not given birth. Weeks ago, I had her isolated in a breeder net because it looked like she was ready to blow, but I just gave up after a while cause it wouldn't happen. And she kept on growing! Take a look at the photo (sorry about the poor quality, it doesn't really show the gravid spot)- I've never seen a platy so plump with babies before. Is it normal for a female to retain fry for this long? I tried a water change with slightly cooler water (though the tank temp changed only only a few degrees) and even adding ice cubes to no avail. In fact, it seems like all my livebearers have been pregnant for a really long time, but it's my blue who constantly looks ready to give birth. What's up?

Attachments

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Somehow, platies can be like that. I remember the first pregnant one I had gave birth something like a month after I took her out of the breeder net. Maybe it's something to do with them feeling "comfortable" in a new tank. Occasionally, livebearers will have a defect where they can't give birth, and just get larger and larger, but hopefully this isn't the case. All you can really do is wait. :)