platy in trouble/headstands

Lou

Large Fish
Jul 18, 2003
SW Wisconsin
www.waysmeet.org
Hi

I have a platy (I think...it came with a community tank we got from a friend) that laid eggs maybe 2 months ago. After that I thought we were going to loose her cause she couldn't control swimming...up and down with the flow of the tank...sort of helpless. Then she ate some and seemed stronger. The past 2-3 weeks she's been getting worse and worse.

Now she is head down in a hospital tank. I have her with a male swordtail guppy from another tank that has fin rot. Treating both with antibiotic. It is a 10 gal that has been cycled to be ready for guppy fry...no fry yet so it was available.

Questions:

Is the Platy a goner? she might just be old I'm not sure...

Was it dumb (go ahead be frank) to put the gup and sick platy together?

Any other ideas for saving the platy. The gup will be fine I think, he just has this great swordtail fin that is susceptable to disease.

Well thanks a bunch,

Lou

Anike

Medium Fish
May 26, 2003
Visit site
I think your platy may have swimbladder disease. You can try feeding her a pea which acts as a laxative to clear her system. Do you mean that she gave birth to fry a couple months ago? (platies are livebearers and don't lay eggs) Good luck w/ your platy and guppy.

Lou

Large Fish
Jul 18, 2003
SW Wisconsin
www.waysmeet.org
Hmmm must not be a platy. She had eggs come out of her...i thought it was a grwoth of some kind, but it dropped off then I assume got eaten up.

I'll look at fishprofiles and see if I can find something that looks like her.

Lou

Fatboy

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Seems like the symptoms of swimbladder disease to me. It looks like a platy, Does it not? As for the egg thing I would not know because as already stated, platys give birth to live fry and don't lay eggs!? Just speculation but maybe what u saw the platy drop were internal organs of some sort that were infected or somehow damaged, and not eggs. Like I said that's just speculation so i'm probably wrong, but that is weird.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If she was pregnant and then got sick she may have aborted before the fry matured inside of her, and you just happened to witness it.

Sounds like you're doing everything right...and sorry to say it but i've never seen a fish recover after its that far gone. She looks pretty discolored :(

I suppose it could be a platy, or a swordtail....or a molly....lol but its definitely a livebearer.

Lou

Large Fish
Jul 18, 2003
SW Wisconsin
www.waysmeet.org
As you predicted, the old fish died. Very odd deal--it might have just been old. I wish I'd put it out of its misery earlier. Live and learn I guess.

I have another fish I can't identify in the community tank. Can this be submitted to the what kind of fish is this game? I'll offer a pic if I know who to send it to etc.

Lou

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Eh...go ahead and throw out the question on a new thread with a picture :) It doesn't really fit the game...but I'm sure everyone will have some good answers for you.