Platy pregnant, not eating for 3 days

miagrewal

Small Fish
Apr 18, 2005
I have a 10 gallon tank, with one red tail shark, one tetra, 3 platys, 2 catfish and one algae eater and two rose red minnows. One of my platys I think is pregnant, but It doesnt eat anything. Its belly is so big that it hardly swims and sits at the bottom most of the time. It has always been a slow eater. I never saw it rush up to the top to eat. But lately, I haven't seen it go to the top either. I want her to have the babies. But she would starve if she doesn't eat. If I put too much food, my other fish would die of overfeeding. Is the behavior of the platy normal. My tank is 8 months old. I have had lot of dead fish, but its been stable for last 3-4 months. I have checked the water quality, everything seems ok. I changed the water partially to see if it helps. Nothinghe still hardly moves. I have had fish with dropsy and so I know that it doesn't have dropsy for sure. Is there anything I can do?

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
All the signs of pregnacy. Your platy will drop lots and lots of babies real soon if she is indeed pregnate and so it seems. So give it some time and keep an eye out for babies. Its normal for females who are just about to drop babies not to eat so she has got to be pregnate. If you would like to save the babies you need to catch them or suck them up after they have been dropped. Moving the female now is to risky and may cause a miscarage or whatever you call that with fish i forgot the name.

Andrew

miagrewal

Small Fish
Apr 18, 2005
yeah, It looks fine otherwise. I didn't see any growth or symptoms of any other diseases. Most of my fish died because of dropsy and stress, but I haven't had a dead fish in 5 months. I had read on different websites that platys mate pretty quick. I have had mine for about 5 months and its the first time, that I have a pregnant fish. Its belly is big in the front and its thin behind the belly. This morning the platy was having a hard time to swim, because of its belly. It would rest on the bottom. It looked like a hen, about to lay eggs. I have put breeding grass in there, dont know what to expect. No other fish in the aquarium bother it, so I just dont know what is happening to her.